Of Freaks

Athanasia thought that the tea party from before was awkward. She was wrong.

This tea party was awkward, Athanasia sitting at a table with Jennette and Claude.

Jennette was trying to break the tension, Claude staring directly at Athanasia. Meanwhile, the tea cup has become very interesting.

"I heard you're very diligent about your studies!" Jennette turned her focus to Athanasia.

I only started learning to save people. "Oh, yes. I suppose."

Jennette smiled. "That's amazing! I'm kind of stupid, haha."

"Don't think like that." Claude's attention shifted over to Jennette. "You're fine just the way you are."

"It's true though! I'm kind of dumb.."

"If you want," Athanasia's mouth was moving before her brain could process the words. "I can help teach you?"

Claude's attention snapped back to Athanasia, him immediately frowning. "No-"

"Yes!" Jennette stood up excitedly, smiling happily. "I'd love that!"

Athanasia smiled, ignoring Claude's inaudible noises. "That's wonderful. Just tell me which time works for you."

"Can we study on the weekends? I don't have that many duties to do then."

 Athanasia nodded, sipping her tea. She'd have to stop patrolling on the weekends, then. Too risky.

Claude glanced over to Jennette. "You are aware that I can just hire a teacher, correct?"

"I am.. but this would be beneficial! I get to study more, and I get to hang out with my sister!"

Athanasia tried her hardest not to flinch at the words. Why didn't this happen in her past life, when she wasn't traumatized by her own death?

Claude seemed disgruntled, but over all okay with the arrangement. Jennette seemed happy, and Athanasia..

She didn't know how to feel.

~

Athanasia silently stared down at the scene in front of her, scowling.

The guards are so focused on capturing her, that they are ignoring the crime happening right in front of them.

It was a human trafficking system, and from the looks of it, all were skilled in magic.

"What's this?"

Athanasia turned to see Lucas next to her, peering down curiously. Athanasia grunted in response.

"Something illegal. That I need to stop."

"Want an assist?"

The girl paused, pondering over it for a moment or two. "Yeah, sure."

Athanasia stood, walking back a few steps before leaping off the roof she was on, Lucas close behind her. Slamming into one of the grunts, Athanasia leapt to her feet and started fighting.

Lucas assisted like last time, spurts of fire bursted upwards from the ground. Athanasia weaved through them, as if they had been fighting together throughout thousands of lives and are used to eachother.

Because they totally, absolutely, definitely did NOT meet a couple of days ago when Athanasia was almost screwed.

Athanasia blinked, hearing a weird yelp from behind her. Turning around, Athanasia caught sight of Lucas trying to free the children while simultaneously assisting.

He was failing miserably, sure, but he was trying.

Looking back at Lucas was a mistake though, because at that moment one of the grunts decided that the knife they were holding would be a good addition to Athanasia's shoulder. The girl snarled, throwing her leg out for the hardest kick she could muster.

Stumbling back a bit, Athanasia yanked the knife out of her shoulder and inspected the wound.

To put it in the nicest way she could, it looked like a red pen made a line along her shoulder and then the ink bled everywhere.

Gross.

Tucking the knife away into her belt, Athanasia steadied herself, preparing to charge again.

Was that a good idea? Well, no. Not really.

But she would be damned if she let those villains get away with this.

Just as Athanasia stepped forward, ready to annihilate the monsters, a bubble of red appeared at their feet before rising upwards, incinerating them.

Athanasia blinked, before turning back to Lucas. The man was frowning, a dark look in his eyes before resuming to his usual aloof manner.

"..why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you kill them?"

Athanasia kneeled down and poked at one of the burnt corpses, wincing when the body crumbled to ash at the faintest touch.

"They were bad people. These kids had the mana sucked out of them. Not sure what the reason for was though, considering they don't have any trace of mana in them at all."

Athanasia frowned. "That's messed up."

"It is." Lucas frowned uncomfortably. "Will that stab wound be okay?"

"It's fine. I have supplies."

"Right.." Clearing his throat, the wizard shifted foot to foot awkwardly. "I'll tell the authorities where these kids are. You should probably head back to wherever you came from."

Athanasia nodded. Scaling up the wall, the girl turned and started running back to the palace.

~

Okay, so. She wasn't expecting Jennette to notice the injury.

Then again, she wasn't expecting to see Jennette at all.

Athanasia had crept in through the kitchen window, changing into a nightgown she had in her bag and stuffing the disguise away. She can say that she was thirsty, and wanted a drink of water.

Exiting the kitchen, Athanasia turned to see Jennette right next to her.

"Athy?" 

The girl seemed tired, half awake.

"Oh, uh, hi Jennette." Athanasia smiled sheepishly.

"What're you.." The girl's words were slurring. Unfortunately for Athanasia, the knife from earlier gleamed in the moonlight, catching Jennette's attention.

It was still covered in blood, and from the way Athanasia's shoulder was slumping, it was obvious it wasn't tomato juice.

"Wha-"

"I wanted a bit of water. Don't worry." Athanasia hoped the lie would be enough to keep Jennette quiet, and if it didn't work she could just convince her that the events were a dream. "Goodnight."

Jennette looked at Athanasia as she scurried away, worry in her eyes.

~

A/N : Haha so

Originally Lucas was suppose to heal Athy but scrapped that idea. Okay bye.