Like you, and me

Jennette pouted. "I don't get it.."

"That's fine. Take your time." 

Currently, the two princesses were studying together. Jennette kept mumbling out her displeasure every five minutes, and Athanasia giving quiet reassurances and helpful tips. 

Jennette paused.

"Hey, Athanasia? I was just wondering.."

Oh boy. Here it comes.

"Which do you prefer? Pies or cakes?"

Athanasia blinked. "Oh, uh, I don't mind either."

That wasn't what she had expected. Athanasia expected a barrage of questions like, 'why were you holding a knife?' 'is your shoulder okay?' 'why in god's name were you up so late at night?'

But no. It appears that Jennette had forgotten about the previous night, albeit she seems really uncomfortable. "Why did you ask?"

"I was just wondering if you would like to have a tea party with me, if that's alright with you?"

"I-" Athanasia was on the verge of agreeing before pausing. "Is this an excuse to get out of your studies?"

Jennette immediately burst into flustered denial, with Athanasia giggling a bit.

"No, no! I swear it isn't, I just want to-" The crown princess stopped, listening to Athanasia's laugh.

"That was a joke. Of course I'd like to have a tea party with you."

The brunette sighed with relief, smiling. Clapping her hands, Jennette smiled. "I'll call for a maid to prepare it for us in the garden."

~

Athanasia smiled. It was quite relaxing, to hang out with Jennette like this.

The last few times they had met it had been.. not ideal. With Jennette trying to simply interact with Athanasia, and Athanasia being hurt both times.

So being able to casually chat with Jennette was.. nice. Relaxing, even.

Athanasia doesn't know what it is, but it seems like she can completely relax around the brunette. She's someone who's likable naturally, it almost doesn't feel real.

The only reason she wasn't able to relax the last few times was because of her injuries and how on guard she was. The pain had been too aggravating to relax.

Sipping her tea cup, Athanasia smiled. "What's this tea?"

"Citrus, I believe." Jennette sipped her tea as well, smiling calmly. "I can't believe I missed out on so many nice afternoons with you, just because father doesn't like you."

Athanasia nodded, humming in agreement. She hadn't even noticed how tense she was, her shoulders sagging.

"Hello?"

And there goes the relaxation. Athanasia immediately tensed up, glancing in the direction of the voice.

Claude was here. Why was he here??

"I thought you two were going to study."

"Oh, we got a bit distracted, haha." Jennette smiled casually. "We're having a tea party. Why don't you come join us?"

Athanasia internally groaned as Claude nodded, snapping his fingers and ordering the servants to bring another chair.

The blonde girl sucked up her feelings, steeling herself. "How are you, your Majesty?"

Claude glanced over at Athanasia. "I'm doing well."

Jennette smiled, happy. "That's great, father! I'm so glad you're doing well!"

The man hummed absentmindedly, not noticing Athanasia's obvious discomfort.

You see, Jennette actually TRIED to get to know her. Claude couldn't care less.

Athanasia was tensed, prepared for the man to whip out a sword out of- she isn't sure, honestly, maybe in his robes? -and slice off her head.

But he never did. And that was more unsettling.

Athanasia silently sipped her tea, trying to enjoy it before she received indigestion. It was good tea, honestly. She was so relaxed before Claude came along.

It was like she was walking on glass shards around him, and that was an unpleasant feeling.

"Jennette." Athanasia forced a smile. "I think we need to return to studying."

"Aww, but we were having so much fun!" Jennette pouted, a pang striking Athanasia's heart.

Just because Athanasia dislikes Claude doesn't mean Jennette did.

"Then we can cancel today's lesson. Have fun with your father. I shall leave first."

Standing up quickly, Athanasia performed a quick curtsy before rushing away, ignoring Jennette standing up from her chair.

"Wait-"

~

Athanasia felt terrible.

She didn't come out to the city to patrol today. To relax.

Without any Claude's or Jennette's around.

Jennette was lovely and all, but she's always with the older man.

"You good?"

Athanasia turned to Lucas, who had appeared behind her. "Yeah, fine. Just- Just upset I suppose."

Lucas tilted his head curiously. "Why?"

"I have a terrible dad."

That was simple enough to explain her situation while not revealing too much.

"Oh." Lucas sat down beside her, enjoying the view of the city with her. "I wouldn't know."

Athanasia made a noise with her throat, confused. Lucas glanced over at her, chuckling a bit. "Yeah, no. Didn't have a dad."

"Oh." Athanasia didn't know how to respond to that. "That.. sucks."

"From what I hear, my parents were terrible people anyways. It's fine."

Athanasia hummed. She enjoyed Lucas's presence, it was calming in a chaotic way.

"By the way." Lucas glanced over at Athanasia. "You never told me your name."

The blonde paused. She had never considered making a name for herself. Scanning through all of her lessons, Athanasia pondered over the information she learned. Which one would suit her situation best?

"...Amaryllis. You can call me Amaryllis."

"Like the flower?" Lucas snorted. "Yeah, okay. That's a bit hard to remember. I'm calling you Amar."

"Then what's the point of asking me my name?!" Athanasia- no, Amaryllis looked over, confused and slightly angry.

"Dunno Amar, you tell me."

"That- That's not?!"

"Aw, the little flower upset?"

"YOU'RE A JERK!"

Athanasia huffed, and despite her words she had grown to enjoy Lucas's presence.

He wasn't Jennette, but he was nice.

In his own, terrible way.

She enjoyed the banter the two had.

She enjoyed how they worked together so naturally.

For the first time in a while, Athanasia smiled around a total stranger.

She hasn't done that since her first life, any people trying to make a move on the 'forgotten princess' would receive harsh glares.

But Lucas was different.

(It was vaguely familiar.)