I know a place where the bruised and broken

Amaryllis had truly headed out into the city to relax, hanging out with Lucas was a plus.

But their banter, sadly, attracted a few grunt's attention. It was people from the child auction thing, Amaryllis recognized their uniforms.

All of them wore black leather jackets, with the emblem of a snake suffocating a spider. The snake wore a crown, covered in blood.

It was odd, but very specific and easy to spot.

Amaryllis smiled apologetically at Lucas. "This has been fun, but duty calls."

"Do you-"

"I don't need an assist every time you know." Amaryllis found herself surprised, already knowing what Lucas was going to say.

Amaryllis stood, before jumping down and descending on the men. She managed to cave in someone's face (she cringed at that) and make someone's nose bleed. Amaryllis could feel Lucas's piercing gaze above her, judging her and waiting.

Waiting for Amaryllis to call for help.

That was kind of reassuring. Knowing someone is willing to help if needed.

But at the same time, it was kind of annoying.

Amaryllis could take care of herself.

So, fueled with this annoyance, Amaryllis took down the grunts easily.

~

Athanasia was back at home. After the encounter, she said goodbye to Lucas and ran back home.

She had a few bruises on her body, but it was fine. They would probably fade in a day or two, but that wasn't what she was focused on.

Due to her choosing the name Amaryllis for her alter ego, she figured that the shirt she was wearing during her outings should have an amaryllis on it.

For brand.

And then a knock came at her door.

Shoving the suit away, Athanasia grabbed a empty handkerchief. Pretending to stitch on it.

"Come in!"

Jennette slowly opened the door, tilting her head.

"Um.. hey.." The girl's face scrunched up. "Our classes.. Father wants to hold a tea party tomorrow.. I'm going to have to cancel.. sorry about that.."

Oh. "Ah, yeah, no problem. I have things to do anyways."

Like going out into town and helping innocent people.

"It's fine.. what are you doing?"

Athanasia glanced down at the clean slate in her hands. "I'm not sure."

"Oh. Can I.. join you? In whatever you're doing?"

The blonde shrugged, Jennette taking that as an invitation to sit down.

The two sat comfortably in silence- well, one of them at least. Jennette was smiling, humming to herself silently while Athanasia was struggling with her embroidery.

She had embroidered a rose, delicate and beautiful.

To anyone else, it would look perfect.

But that leaf is off. That petal looks wrong. It's all lumpy.

Athanasia grumbled, frustrated. Jennette looked over and gasped.

"It's amazing!"

The princess nodded faintly, angrily adding more and more details.

It looks terrible. If Athanasia added enough details, then maybe that would be enough to cover it up-

"Ah."

"Oh my god!?"

Jennette and Athanasia both spoke at once, the former terrified and the latter apathetic. Jennette fumbled over words, noises of distress falling out of her mouth.

Athanasia had pricked herself on accident. The blonde stared at her bleeding finger, aloof.

It didn't hurt.

Athanasia isn't sure if this is a good thing or not.

Jennette held some bandages- when did she get bandages??- and started wrapping Athanasia's finger with them. Chastising the blonde.

"You have to be careful! I don't- don't be reckless!"

Athanasia internally snorted. If only Jennette knew what Athanasia- no, Amaryllis was doing at night.

She would die, honestly.

A sharp jolt made Athanasia flinch, hissing and being brought back to reality. Jennette frowned.

"Sorry. I had to apply pressure."

Glancing down at her hand, Athanasia stared at the bandages covering the injured finger. 

"Thank you. You are surprisingly good at this."

"Haha, yeah. I kind of had to be, Sir Alpheus would always get super upset whenever Ijekiel and I disobeyed an order." Jennette smiled casually. "It was always nasty, having to clean up his wounds."

"Wait- what?"

"What?"

Jennette blinked at Athanasia, as if what she had just said wasn't the biggest red flag ever.

Athanasia very faintly remembers Ijekiel. A quiet, white haired boy. 

He had always worn long sleeves. Athanasia had just assumed it was to be proper, acting like all the other nobles.

But no, there were clothing types that were more loose-fitting, and revealed a bit more skin. More popular during summer.

But Ijekiel never changed his clothes.

Athanasia felt sick. She should have questioned it.

"Are you okay?" Jennette's voice brought Athanasia back to reality.

"I'm fine. I just- I don't feel well right now." Athanasia rubbed her head. "If you don't mind, could you.. leave? I think I need to take a break."

"Of course." Jennette smiled, standing and leaving the room.

The blonde silently pondered over the new information she had received.

Maybe there was more to Jennette then she thought.

She needed a break.

~

She hadn't planned on going out again, but Amaryllis sincerely needed a breather.

Amaryllis had learned so, so much more than she had intended.

What was his name again- Sir Alpheus?

Yeah, no. She would probably have to investigate him.

"Hello?"

Amaryllis blinked before looking to her side, seeing that Lucas was sitting directly next to her.

"Hello."

"What are you doing over here?" Lucas scrunched up his nose. "Better yet, why are you out twice in one night?"

"Needed another break. My family is.. weird, to say the least."

"Yeah, must be if their daughter is prancing around on rooftops." Lucas snorted. "Your mother must be so disappointed."

"Hey! I-" Amaryllis paused. "I don't have a mom."

"Oh- wait, really? Sorry 'bout that, then." Lucas frowned. "Your family is weird."

Amaryllis giggled. "Yep."

The vigilante grew silent again, thinking about the suspicious noble who may or may not have hurt Jennette and Ijekiel. Lucas, obviously irritated with this silence, spoke up.

"What's bugging you? Seriously, you usually aren't this quiet."

Amaryllis looked over the town square. "It's nothing."