Proluge

The Madrigals were all outside of Abeuela's room, waiting for Julieta to come out and tell them that she would be fine. It had been a week since the casita was rebuilt and everything had been good until Abuela started having dizzy spells, which lead to her fainting and being bedridden. After that, the Madrigals weren't having the best reaction to the incident.  For example, Luisa has gone back to overworking herself subconsciously so she wouldn't have to think about what's happing to Abuela, Dolores has been trying to help everyone despite having a breakdown with all the noise coming from everyone. Camilo, who has been very quiet when they found out.

But the triplets have been having the worse reaction to their mom being bedridden. Pepa, naturally had the worse reaction, she nearly flooded the village and there was a thunderstorm for nearly 2 days. Bruno has been guilty of not being able to help his mom, he keeps rambling about if he had looked into the future he could have prevented this. Julieta had the most normal reaction, but she has been overworking herself trying to help their mother. In short, the house has been chaotic during this time.

Back to the present, they are waiting in front of her door. Pepa was causing another thunderstorm whilst Felix was trying to calm her down, Antonio was crying on Camilo who was also trying to comfort him, and Dolores who looked like she was about crack. Lusia was crying into her hands, and Isabel was trying not to cry. Bruno was petting his rat and calling himself bad things. The only ones who seemed to be relatively okay were Agustin and Mirabel, but the two had the most reason to cry.

.

.

.

Mirabel's POV (The night before)

"Mira? Abuela wants to talk to you." I heard my dad say. I was in the middle of stress sewing when my dad came in, he was taking care of Abuela for the night so my mom could rest. I nodded and followed him into Abuela's room. Her room looked like any normal room you would find in a normal house, the noticeable difference was it had butterflies inhabiting it as well as a picture of the whole family on the wall, which was the thing Abuela was looking at. "Abuela? why did you call me?"  I asked, Abuela turned to me with a defeated look in her eyes,  "Mirabel... you and the family are aware of what has happened these past few days, correct?"  She questioned. I nodded, "In those few days I could feel myself slipping in and out conscious only being alive thanks to Julieta, but that got me to think...when the time comes for me to leave, who will take care of the candle? who will take care of the village? who will take care of our familia." She stated, my breath started going shallow, "Abuela? wha-what do you mean?" I stuttered, she smiled at me, the same defeated look in her eyes. "My Nina, when I'm gone please take care of our casita, please take care of our familia," My vision starts to blur then I start to cry, Abuela gestured me closer and hugged me.

"Ab-Abuela, I-i don't know how to take care of the familia, heck! I don't even know why you chose me? I don't even have a gift!" She gave me another soft smile. "Mirabel, you have the gift of understanding, empathy, and being to able understand the familia unlike me. You can see your faults before it can hurt others,"

"And if you are ever lost ill be here to help you," I and Abuela look towards my Papa who was standing there, eyes watering. " Of course, you will have help when needed and when the time comes for  you to pass it down to the next holder you will be able to teach them." At this point I was sobbing, I look at Abuela and nodded.

"Okay, Abuela, I promise to care for the familia and casita when you...leave" I said after calming down. Abuela nods and whispers in my ear, " Buenas Noches, te Amo." I smile and leave with papa to get some rest.

.

.

.

3rd person POV

"Will Abuela be okay?"Antonio asked after a few moments of panicked filled silence, Camilo turns to his little brother with a pained smile, "Dont worry! tia Julieta can heal Abuela and shell be good again!" Camilo said in a way that's too cheery.

Then after a few more moments, Julieta came out with eyes swollen, "Bruno, Pepa mama wants us." The other 2 came in while the others wait there patiently.

.

.

.

Pepa's POV

"Mama?" I whispered, trying to myself calm so mama won't get wet. In front of us was mama lying on her back, her skin once golden brown like brown sugar, now pale as snow. She turned to us with tired eyes. "My bebes..." Then all of us burst into tears, as we surrounded her she gave us each a kiss on the forehead, "Mama? will you be okay?" I whimpered, she gave him a tired smile, "I think it's my time to go and see you father" She whispered, tears brimming her eyes as well, "Im sorry my Nino's, I wasn't a very good mother... and not a very good grandmother to, please forgive me." she cried. 

"Mama! you tried your best, you lost papa and had to suffer alone you gave us a family! we could never hate you," Bruno exclaimed, in tears. To this is gave us a tired smile and slowly her eyes began to droop, "MAMA!" I exclaimed. Bruno held me back as Julieta came and whispered in my mama's ear, 

"Mamá, Puedes descansar ahora. te lo mereces"

And with that mama took her final breath, closed her eyes, and finally rest surrounded by her children. "MAMA!" I cried into Bruno's poncho, who was also sobbing with Julieta who was right next to them.

3rd POV 

BANG! the door swings open, to reveal Mirabel with the rest of the Madrigals right behind her. "No... NO, ABUELA" Antiono screamed as he rushed to Abuela's lifeless body.

What followed after that was a blur of crying, mourning, and cursing. The family was a sad mess. 

But not a complete loss, the day may have been the final day of Alma Madrigal's life as the candle's protector, but now a new chapter can begin with the new candle holder,

Mirabel Madrigal.

(A/n Well you start with angst. Anyways hope you enjoyed it this is my first fic! so sorry if it isn't really good, this is my post-Encanto headcanon so I decided to make it a reality! and don't worry~ this will only be for a couple of chapters then will get the happier story, again hope you enjoy!)

(A/n I never thought that people would cry/be sad with my writing and I feel accomplished)

1149 words

Cheese out ->