Final Selection

5 years later, Izuku POV:

It's been a brutal 5 years of my life up till now. Not only had my world been thrown upside down by the death of my family, but I've also been in the protection of the Butterfly Mansion. Ms. Kanae has been more than graceous about helping me. Every day before the sun comes up, I would normally do my daily routine of running down the mountain. Kanae seemed to be helping grow the level of danger with the traps to have me nearly die regularly. This would without be a problem if I wasn't able to sense the traps, I'd be dead by now or starving to death. "Right side." I dodged to avoid an incoming dagger at my head before continuing running. "Center. Left. Above."

Thanks to starting my training at 5, I was able to get strong enough to almost stand as a Demon Slayer. But during training there was one flaw that I had. 'Total Concentration breathing.' I jumped over a log coming at me and drew out two katanas. "Cursed Breathing, Third Form: Heaven's Black Lightning!" I couldn't learn normal Demon Slaying techniques. Ms. Kanae and Shinobu tried every type of breathing style for me to learn, but I couldn't use a single one. It was a really big headscratcher for us the first two years of training. But, something happened one day when I looked in the mirror. Instead of just seeing my reflection, I saw spirits. We found out later that this was my Blood Demon Art. A unique skill that only demons can have. Since I could see the dead, Ms. Kanae decided to call it, Eyes of the Beyond. After that, it got both of us and Shinobu thinking to merge both Breathing Styles of Demon Slayers and the Blood Demon Art together. This created a completely unique Breathing Style only I could learn called Cursed Breathing.

I found my way down to the bottom of the mountain in record time to see both Ms. Kanae and Shinobu at the bottom to greet me. "Well, that is without a doubt your best time yet. Nicely done, Izuku. Truly could not express how well you've come in your time with us." Kanae smiled happily at me while holding a timer.

"Thanks. I couldn't have done it without either of you though." I started to blush a little with Shinobu coming to me and patting my head.

"You really aren't anything like the kid we found before. Great job."

"Alright. Now, come with me and we shall show you the final part of your training." Ms. Kanae brought me towards an open area where she presented a giant boulder that was larger than her. She turned to me and held her hand out to present it.

 She turned to me and held her hand out to present it

"This is your final test, Izuku. If you can cut this boulder using only your swords, I will allow you to go to Final Selection. But be warned. It will without a doubt not be as simple as the training I have given you for the last five years." I glanced at the boulder to see it was completely solid with nothing to make me think it was hollow. "Also, remember what I said about if your swords break." Ms. Kanae's smile turned very ominous while she stated in a happy tone what would happen. "If you break them, I will make your life a living hell as payment for it." A shiver went down my spine with this to nod in agreement. "Whether you pass or fail now is entirely up to you. Use what I taught you and show me that you are worthy of saying you are ready for the trials."