Chapter twenty one

"Looks like we're back." Makoto said. "I can't believe how long that ladder was. I'm exhausted..." Kyoko said. "Kyoko...thank you. We would've never gotten out of there without you." Makoto said. "Not necessary. I was just returning the favor." She replied. You looked around. "So...what do we do? Wait the mastermind is gonna find out!" You said. "And I'm worried about you too. You helped us so they might-" "You're worried?" She asked. Makoto nodded. "Then let's just get a concrete answer." She said. "Ohh..." You said while Makoto stood there confused. "We're gonna ask Monokuma if he has a problem with us escaping." He was stunned. "Wait! But thats-" Kyoko cut him off. "If we try to hide it's only a matter of time." As she said that she pointed at the camera. "Don't worry dude. The mastermind is the one trapped." You said. "First Kyoko said that before now you... What does it mean?" Makoto asked.

"The mastermind stood exposed during the investigation. There was a moment where the mastermind let their guard down. If we can talk to Monokuma, we can confirm it." Kyoko explained. "And think about it, it's best we go to him than him tracking us down." You said. You seemed to know Kyoko's plan now. While you and Kyoko were ready, Makoto...not so much. But there wasn't much of a choice. "Monokuma should be in the gym. Let's go." Kyoko said. The three of you then made your way to the gym. You made it to the door first. You took a deep breath and opened the door. Once the three of you were in there you heard an all to familiar voice. "Hey hey hey hey hey HEY!!!" Monokuma.

"Kyoko I don't mind so much. But Makoto and Y/n are supposed to be dead! What are THEY doing here!?!?" Yeah this reaction was to be expected... "Did Kyoko let you out!?" Monokuma asked well more like yelled. "So what if I did? What are you going to do about it?" She replied. "If the guilty party is exposed during the class trial, they alone will be executed. It's unfortunate but that IS the rule... So now I got to punish you both again! This time I won't leave anything to chance!" He yelled. "K-Kyoko! Y/n!" Makoto yelled out of fear. "Do whatever you feel you have to." Kyoko said. "WHAT!?!?" Makoto yelled. She then looked at you. She knew you knew and was letting you say it. Why does she do this? She does this to Makoto during the trials too. "But before you do! If you execute me and Makoto you loose. But that don't matter to you right?" You said. Monokuma was confused. "You! Explain yourself! What do you mean by that!?"

"Well you set this last trial up right?" You said. "I was getting in your way, so you wanted an excuse to kill me. I was supposed to be chosen as the blackned right?" Kyoko said. "But when Makoto chose to overlook the lie, your plan came crashing down! Because you never thought someone would protect another like that. And in response, you said Makoto and I were the blackned and tried to execute us." You said full of confidence. You were no longer hiding. You were ready to fight. And you have something you didn't have before. A reason to fight. "You realized that Makoto and Y/n were a threat to you as well." Kyoko then carried the rest of the conversation. And by the end... One more trial.
One final class trial.
A battle between hope and despair.

And soon you were out of the gym. It was time to find the others. You passed by a clock. Nighttime. The three of you eventually made it to the cafeteria. When you heard a loud gasp. "Is that Makoto and Y/n?" Hina said shocked. "You guys!" Makoto said happy. "It is! There's no way about it! It's them!" She confirmed. "Jeez you're like a cockroach you know that." Byakuya said. And just as you started to look for her. She was already hugging you. "Y/n! Y-Your alive!" She said. You hugged her back happy she's in your arms. And you and Makoto started to tear up. Until people pointed out how awful you both smelt and ruined the moment. Makoto and Kyoko started to talk about everything that's happened and what's going to happen. Toko still holding onto you tight as if she let go you'd disappear. Then...

*Bing bong bing bong*

"This is a school announcement. You've all probably figured this out by now but...at this point the killing game has now entered true ending mode. So in the name of fairness, I will unlock every room in the school."

It was time to split up. But you could feel all the dirt and trash on your body you had to clean. You said after you showered you'd investigate. You then started to walk to your room. "M-Mistress! She didn't take me with her..." You then made your way back to the door. "You gonna stay here?" You asked. She let out a happy noise and ran over to you. The two of you made it to your room. You quickly took a shower. By the time you got out you both just looked at each other. "We need to talk..." You said sitting down next to her on the bed. She was biting her nails nervous. "I'm so sorry!" She said before bursting out into tears. "I never m-meant the things I said! I'm a h-horrible person! You probably hate me s-so much now! I r-ruined everything!" You grabbed her hands. "it's okay. I know what you said was because of pent up things. The same thing was with me. We need to talk about that but... I meant what I said. Before Monokuma tried to execute me."

She looked up at you tears still in her eyes. "Y-your not lying?" You nodded. "I love you Toko." And with that she kissed you. It was a little sloppy due to either lack of experience or overwhelming emotions. In that moment you forgot about Monokuma and the killing game. All you could think about was her. You pulled away first. She explained that as a kid she wrote a love letter to a boy and she not only got rejected but was humiliated in front of the whole class. The teacher saw the note and said she should try writing. And how when she was older a boy lost a bet and had to ask her out. She thought about it all weekend only to find that out. And you explained how all the deaths effected you and how you internalized your mental health issues. She also opened up about her past and how her mom's abused her so much it made her develop DID and gave her a fear of water and the dark. A few more tears were shed but finally you understood each other. But now you had to investigate. You were going to fight. You had a reason to. And that reason is her.