CHAPTER #1

After his final battle with Kenshin, Enishi was arrested for his crimes of murder, property destruction and weapons dealing. For weeks he was kept in a jail cell, before they decided to move him to a more secure facility. During prisoner transport, the Japanese mafia rescued one of their gang members, killing all the police there. The door to their mobile cell was left open, so Enishi got out too. He located the keys to his wrist and ankle cuffs, on a dead policeman's body. Once free, he wandered aimlessly, still clutching Tomoe's diary.

Enishi was left feeling lost and hopeless, after his final battle with Kenshin Himura. Having read Tomoe's diary and for the first time in his life really understanding her true emotions, the sorrow he felt, brought him to the village of the fallen called Rakuninmura. An old man told him that one day he would find purpose in life again. He did rest, how many days it was, Enishi didn't know. For so long Enishi had lived for revenge and was full of hate, that once that was stripped from him, he didn't know what was left. He needed to find a way to live without cruelty and vengeance. His soul was still connected to his sister Tomoe, that might not ever change. But he needed to let go of the past and that meant leaving his sister's diary at her grave marker by a Kyoto temple. When he finally left the village of the fallen, that's where he went.

He was still a wanted man, hence Enishi mostly travelled at night or remained hidden by the shadows. At Tomoe's grave he prayed for guidance. He still couldn't see his sister's smile. When leaving the temple, the voice he heard, made him stop and look around.

A female had been swearing in Chinese, before she switched to Japanese. "Come any closer and I'll kill you.... Touch me and die."

The woman wasn't talking to him, but four men that circled her. Enishi watched, curious of the outcome. The men were laughing, threatening to use and abuse her. One of the four darted in and tackled the woman. Even though he didn't actually see her bite him, the man screamed as blood squirted from the hole in his jugular. The woman spit out the flesh, at the man closest to her, jumping back on to her feet. Two more came at her and she punched and kicked with skill, sending them flying. The fourth man, pulled out a gun.

Not even realizing he was doing it, Enishi came in and disabled the gun, before delivering a powerful punch that left the man unconscious. Having been an arms dealer and creating new weapons himself for his war against Kenshin, he knew how to handle and take apart all kinds of guns. He looked at the woman and spoke in Chinese, "you should leave before they wake up." Turning his back on her, he went through the pockets of the men and then continued on his way.

At first she just watched, then wiped her bloody mouth on a sleeve, before quietly following him. Enishi could feel her eyes on his back, but there seemed to be no vicious intent, so he let her follow him. He bought two hooded cloaks, one to help hide his identity, the other he tossed to her. Next Enishi got some food; two boiled eggs, dried fruit and some Imagawayaki.

Once more speaking in Chinese, he said, "catch your share." Then threw an egg and one of the buns to her.

She caught the offering easily and replied in Chinese, "thanks."

He saw that she had put on the hooded cloak he'd given her too. Generally Enishi didn't notice others unless they were a threat or could be used for his gain. Yet this girl was making him wonder about her story. He surprised himself when he realized that maybe it was because she seemed mentally strong like his sister. The girl was covered in dirt, wearing baggy clothing, but he could see she was similar in height to Tomoe too. Before putting on the hood, he'd seen her face. She was probably older than him. Her eyes seemed wild, like a cornered animal.

In Japanese he said, "I'm going to Edo... er... Tokyo as it's now called. Come if you want."

Walking through town, she stayed behind him. They went over the Kamo river bridge and made their way out of town. Only his heightened senses, honed from years of battle, told him she was there. Her steps couldn't be heard, not even when they reached the forest that surrounded Kyoto. His feet snapped twigs and crunched on leaves, her steps were silent. Although they didn't speak, there was no hostility in their silence. They covered a lot of ground, but finally stopped after the sun set.

"What's your name?" She asked suddenly.

"Enishi."

"You're on the wanted posters." When he said nothing, she offered, "I'm Kono."

"You're a woman, not a man. What's your real name?"

"Sumi."

He turned around and she hissed, jumping back, landing in a fighting stance. He commented, "if I wanted to hurt you, you'd be dead already." Still she remained primed, so he gave her his back again. "We'll reach a hot spring tomorrow."

Not wanting to draw attention with a fire, Enishi leaned against a tree, off the path they'd taken and wrapped the hooded cloak around himself. He watched her go deeper into the forest, but within his sight, before she did the same. The way she moved reminded him of a cat. Old habits were hard to erase and so Enishi slept with his senses acutely aware. He never heard her move, but when he woke, her eyes stared into his.

The moon was bright, so he decided to continue towards the hot springs. Standing, he stretched and then began to walk, she matched his stride but remained behind him. The night sounds followed them, but they were the only humans awake at that hour. Just as the sun painted the horizon to signal dawn, they arrived at a hot spring. Due to its small size, there was no hut built near by. Without caring if she saw him naked, Enishi began to stripped off all his clothes to get in the hot spring. Sumi saw the cords of muscle on his back and along the wide shoulders, that rippled as he moved. This man had suppressed power. She admired his arms too, then turned away as he took off his pants.

The water felt good against his cooled skin. He submerged his head completely for a few moments, before surfacing. Even though he couldn't see Sumi, Enishi knew she was nearby. Had she chosen to travel with him because he didn't make a move towards her, or was it because of the food? He put the thoughts of her out of his mind and began to wash himself. Once done, Enishi got out of the spring and put his clothes back on. He turned towards the spring and accidentally saw her naked as she stripped. His eyes took in her scars, then noticed her slender, lean body, with defined arms and a tight stomach. Her curves were in all the right places and mesmerized him momentarily. To Enishi, she was physically flawless. Thankfully he turned around before getting caught checking her out. He wondered what had turned her into a fighter, a survivor like him.

Getting out of the spring herself, she quickly got dressed. Sumi watched him eat a sweet bun, then got embarrassed when her stomach roared its hunger. When he tossed her the last bun, she spoke. "Thanks."

"How do you know Chinese?" He asked, not really expecting an answer.

"My mother was Japanese, my father Chinese. What about you?"

"I lived in Shanghai as a teenager."

"I've never left Japan." Her eyes suddenly darted down the path.

He'd heard something too and put his finger to his lips, signalling she should be silent. Instead of waiting for him, Sumi moved through the forest. After circling back the way they'd come, she checked if they were being followed, only to find a deer using the path.

Returning to the spring, she reported, "just a deer."

Enishi nodded and they continued on, putting the spring behind them. He had superhuman endurance, but whenever he glanced back to her, she was keeping pace without difficulty. Getting lost in his own thoughts, Enishi wasn't even sure why he was going to Tokyo. Was it to appease Tomoe or because once there he could get more money? The Chinese mafia weapons expansion was there. Heishin was in jail, so he wasn't sure who was running the business in Tokyo or if it even still existed. But he owned property there. Although it probably had been all seized by the Japanese government, his hidden money wouldn't have been found. Money made travelling easier.

"Where are you from?"

"Born in Toyama. Why are you going to Tokyo?"

"I have business there."

She nodded, "revenge."

It wasn't a question, but he treated it as one. "No. I have money there. I'd rather ride a horse, then walk everywhere."