Chapter 1: Bumping into New Beginnings

"You're fired!" he shouted at his secretary.

"But I-I-"

"Get out!"

She gathered up her purse and ran to the elevator.

"And you, find me another one, now!"

*~

Juliet's P.O.V

 As I got off the bus I tried to orient myself, silently cursing my parents for not being available to drive me to my apartment since they had guests over, what guest is more important than your daughter?

I had just gotten on whatever bus said this cities name on it. I should have probably researched for one that stopped closer to my apartment, but of course I was dumb.

I walked around for a bit until I found the street I was looking for. The map I had printed off of the internet was hard to read, or was I just bad at reading maps? 

"So I took a right... here, and went straight, so now I have to..."

I stopped talking to myself as I looked at my now empty hands, seeing as my map had been knocked out of my hands by a woman scurrying by angrily.

I watched her with curious eyes, "Geez, I wonder what that's all about."

Shrugging I turned back to where my map had fallen.

Picking it up I tried to find the spot I was before when it was knocked out of my hands again.

"Really?" I frowned looking up to find the culprit, this time it was a nicely dressed man.

"Excuse you," I muttered bending down to pick it up again.

"Sorry, I was trying to catch up to someone," he explained looking past me.

"It's alright, maybe you can help me."

He finally looked at me frowning, "Sorry but i'm kind of busy."

"It'll only take a second. I mean, you did bump into me."

"Alright," he nodded.

"Do you know where this is?" I asked showing him the paper of the apartment address and photo.

"I do actually, I live right next door."

My eyebrows shot up, "You do?" 

What are the chances?

"Yeah, are you planning on moving in?"

"Yep I wanted to check it out first."

"It's actually not far from here, I can take you later."

"What do you mean later? Why can't you just tell me the directions?"

"I have to show you to your new job first."

"My what?"

"New job. You're a secretary now."

"I can't be a secretary!"

"Can you get coffee?" 

"Yeah-"

"Can you type?"

"Well yes but-"

"Then you can be a secretary."

He turned and started walking towards a huge building. I followed, reluctantly, behind him. If it weren't for the fact that I didn't know my way around this city, and that I did need a job, I would have left.

We entered the building and went straight for the elevator, stepping into it I broke into a cold sweat, and my pulse quickened the higher we went.

I don't like elevators, I feel like I'm going to get trapped. I'm fine when they're on lower floors but once they get up high, I freak out. I mean what if it gets stuck and falls? That's a long way down!

"I just realized I never introduced myself, my apologies, I'm Thomas."

"J-Juliet," I returned nervously.

"Nice to meet you, I hope you last long."

I frowned turning to him, "What's that supposed to mean?"

He stayed quiet for a moment as the doors opened then finally spoke,

"You'll see."