Chapter 4: Look on the Brightside

Juliet's P.O.V

I didn't think it was possible to hate this man more than I did on my first day when he indirectly called me a dumb blonde. But I was wrong. These past two months have been the absolute worst. I've actually started getting migraines from all the bullshit I have to listen to and put up with each and every day. The only reason I haven't quit is that me and Tom have become great friends, it's close to my apartment, and the pay is amazing.

He's a jerk who needs to be in control 100% of the time or he loses it. I learned quickly that being human and making any sort of small mistake is forbidden. Take last week for example, I accidentally wrote a phone number across two lines instead of single line in his log book and he yelled at me, i mean c'mon if he hadn't been rushing in telling me I wouldn't have messed up.

He asks for coffee at least three times a day, everyday. Which wouldn't be that bad if we weren't on the tenth floor, since the kitchen was on the fifth floor and me being scared of elevator malfunctions making me have to use the stairs.

On the bright side my legs are looking pretty good.

 Tom says he's doing to me what he has done to every person in my position for years; make them miserable until they quit. Well he's not going to win this time, i'm sure i can handle him and soon he'll lay off, right?

Right?

His voice brought me out of my thoughts making me jump slightly, making him smirk.

"I don't pay you to daydream, Ms. Meadows"

"What do you need me to do?" I smiled brightly up at him, knowing it would make him frown.

"I need this report done by today," he said, dropping a huge stack of papers on my desk.

"What is this? What do you mean?" I asked with wide eyes. What the hell kind of report does he need, the only kind i've done is like a book report.

"Just do it," he smirked.

"Why don't you do it, it seems to me that it is your job."

"Because I'm going to be out for the rest of the day, so cancel all my appointments."

"What do yo-" I started but was interrupted by his phone.

"Shh," h e shushed me.

"Hello darling, yes i'm on my way."

I turned in my chair away from him making a face realizing that he was going to go out with a woman instead of actually doing his job.

"Well I must take my leave, I want it on my desk by tonight." He gave a curt nod, turned on his heel and left without another word.

I hate him.

Now to ask Tom what the hell a report is.

~*~

"Here is your stupid ass report," I said slamming it on his desk.

Which would have been much more eventful if he was actually in here or even in the building.

"I think we all wish we could say that to his face," Tom grinned from the door.

"Good, i'm not the only one."

"You ready to head home?"

"You know you didn't have to wait for me, i'm perfectly capable of taking the bus."

"We're neighbors, why waste money on the bus if I can drive?"

"You have a good point." 

"Do you want to stop and get something to eat on our way home?"

"Yes, please. I am not in the mood to cook dinner tonight."

"I can see that. Anyway, I know this great place." 

He handed my coat after I finished collecting my things, with him leading the way we walked into the elevator.

"What kind of food is there?" I asked trying to take my mind off the fact that i was in an elevator.

"Italian."

I've never heard of Italian take out but decided to keep quiet about it.

"Italian is my favorite."

"I know," he grinned shooting me a wink as we headed for his car in the parking lot.

After a couple minutes on the road he broke the comfortable silence.

"So I've been meaning to ask you something."

"What?"

"Are you busy this Saturday?" 

"I don't think so. Why?"

"Well my sister is getting married and I was wondering if you would be my date. You know... to keep my parents off my back."

"Of course. I love weddings," I grinned.

We pulled into a really fancy looking restaurant and I was quite confused.

"I thought we were getting food and eating at home."

"We are."

"This doesn't look like the kind of place that does that."

"It's not. But I know a guy and called him ahead of time. Wait here, i'll be right back."

Okay then.

 My phone buzzed signaling a text message, I opened it quickly thinking it was from the brute but it was just my phone company reminding me that my payment was due at the end of the week. It's just that he will message me at all hours of the day and gets mad if I don't respond quickly, it's easier to just reply instantly then be yelled at.

"I am way too high strung," I sighed to myself throwing my phone in my purse.

I watched people go in and out of the restaurant, waiting for Toms familiar face to pop up amongst them. Instead i found a different face but a familiar one nonetheless.

At least I don't have to worry about him bothering me tonight. 

Was this the same girl from earlier? If so what have they been doing all day to be getting dinner this late?

Actually, scratch that, i'm sure I definitely don't want to know the answer to that.

Not long after that Tom opened the door and put the food in the backseat before getting into the drivers seat.

I guess I had kept the grimace on my face since he looked at me weirdly.

"What happened?"

"Hm? Oh nothing."

"It looks like you smelled something rotten," he laughed.

"If you're done making fun of my face I would gladly appreciate you driving home now," I frowned at him to which he replied to with more laughter.