Chapter 16: Twice as Cocky

Juliet's P.O.V

I woke up the next morning with a jolt. It took only a few seconds after that for my brain to be filled with thoughts of  Graham. What in the love sick teenage crush was going on with me I really just had a wet dream about him last night. Which I will have to admit had not been the first one I had of him but it was the first one I welcomed. Although it was kind of weird that it was in my childhood room.

Last night had passed in a fuzz after my conversation with Max. Not because I drank or anything but because my mind kept replaying the what if's. Obviously I wasn't going to get back with him but in the back of my head I wondered if we could have made it work.

After dessert I had excused my self from the festivities. I kept having to ask people to repeat themselves in conversation so I thought it best to remove myself and save people the trouble of being annoyed with me.

I took those thoughts of Max to bed with me I was confused and angry and was getting worked up just lying there. I had stared at the time on my phone debating if it was too late to call Graham back but ultimately decided not to be rude and wake him up. At least that's what I told myself, in reality I was too chicken and didn't want to have him ignore my call if he was busy or asleep.

A little while after that my thoughts reverted back to what a hot piece of eye candy Graham was, it put me at ease and allowed me to fall asleep.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my imagination where he finally shut up and just looked good.

"Hey Julie you up? We're going to be having breakfast without you if you don't hurry," my dad quipped through the door.

"Yeah I'll be down in a sec," I called out.

I rubbed my eyes harshly. This has to be unhealthy. I can't keep spacing out every time I remember Graham exists.

I have to snap out of it.

~

I was trying so hard not to roll my eyes in front of my aunts but it was getting really difficult.
We had barely finished breakfast when they pounded on the door. We were now currently sitting in the living room talking about my baby or should I say my lack there of. It wouldn't have been a normal visit without it so I had been prepared for it. That didn't mean I wouldn't cut this short though, I had more important conversations on hold.

After excusing myself four times I was finally able to get out.  I ran down the steps excitedly even though I knew I would have to wait until I got home to make the call. Knowing my mom she would be watching me until I was driving out of sight.

The drive was long so as you can guess it gave me enough time to turn excitement into nervousness. By the time I sat on my couch the fear of rejection from yesterday had been replaced with embarrassment for never getting back to him. Was it too late to call him? Why am I so nervous? Should I just pretend I didn't say I'd call him back?

Somewhere between those thoughts I had already pressed call. My stomach was in my throat and my heartbeat loud in my ears.

When his voice finally came through it sounded huskier than usual.

"When you said we'd talk later, I didn't think you meant so much later. Thank you for calling back either way."

I looked over at the clock and frowned, "Did I wake you?"

"Yeah," he cleared his throat, "But don't think I wake up late every weekend."

"What was the special occasion?" I joked.