Chapter 2: Always Stand Your Ground

Juliet's P.O.V

"Have you found one yet?"

This new voice sent a chill through me, no, not the good kind. He sounded so angry and bitter. As I stood behind Tom's back I contemplated getting back in the elevator.

"Yes I did sir."

"Well where is she then?" he growled.

I wanted to see if the man matched his voice in the looks department, but I didn't dare peek at him. He's probably an angry old man.

"She's right here," he said stepping aside, exposing me to the beast of a man.

My eyes stayed rooted to the ground for a moment, I could feel his eyes on me, picking apart every flaw. Hey in my defense, if I had known I would be getting interviewed for a job today, I would of opted out of wearing this old sweater and jeans that were currently hanging off my body, and gone with something more formal. But alas I had gone for the comfortable look today which right now, wasn't very comfortable.

"This is the best you could do?" he growled again.

What is he a dog?

"Well it was kind of short notice don't you think?" Tom shot back.

"Fine, she'll do, but tomorrow she better be dressed up to standard," he growled once again before retreating into what I presume is his office.

He's talking as if I wasn't here!

"Is he always like that?" I asked Tom, watching his closed door, waiting for him to come back and growl some more.

"Yep. C'mon i'll show you around."

~*~

"Basically just do whatever he says and you'll be fine."

"Okay... so now will you show me where my apartment is?"

"You don't seem very enthusiastic about this job," he smirked.

"Sorry, i'm not. I'm more interested in finding my way to my apartment."

"I see, well it is my lunch hour so we'll go, but we're taking my car, I don't do buses."

~

There were two sets of steps leading up to a long concrete porch, one on my side and one on his side. His apartment and mine shared the wall in the middle, him on the right and me on the left.

"Here it is, home sweet home."

"It's much bigger than I remember."

"Really? They seem pretty small to me."

"Really, why?"

"My parents house is huge," he shrugged, "Do you have the key?"

"Yeah, they're in here somewhere," I murmured rummaging through my purse.

"Why do women insist on having huge purses where you can't find anything?"

"To tell you the truth I don't know either, ah here they are."

"Well go on then, we're going to lunch, i'm starving."

I turned to him, feeling bad for taking up his time, "You can go on, i'll find my way back."

He shook his head, "No, we're going to lunch."

"But-"

"No buts, now hurry."

Sighing with a small smile on my face I unlocked the door to my apartment.

I had been here once before when I made the deposit, but it was still being renovated. It was a nice one bedroom, one bath flat, the kitchen was nice and big, i'm glad I included that when I was house hunting. I love to cook and bake, I used to do it all the time back home.

I would have to go back to my parents house to grab what little things I had, I'll make my dad drive me back since my car was in the shop. Looks like i'll be taking the bus to work for the time being.

I grinned at my new place once more and headed out the door and locking it before meeting up with Tom again out front.

He grinned at me, signaling to his car, "Shall we?"

~

"Is this appropriate?" I asked Thomas, fidgeting with my blazer. I was wearing a tight white blouse underneath my blazer and a high waisted skirt that ended mid thigh. I don't know what the boss's ideal work attire is but i've seen enough movies.

"It's perfect," he smiled, giving me a wink.

"So do I just go in or?" I asked Tom, unsure if I should bother the beast or wait for him to come out of his cave.

"Go on in, he's expecting you," he assured.

I nodded and walked over to his office, I opened the door, walked in and closed it behind me, I walked up to his desk.

He was sitting at his desk with his elbows on the desk and his head in his hands rubbing his temples.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Yes," he ground out.

"What?" I asked stupidly.

"You! What could have possessed you to come in without knocking, what do you think the purpose of a closed door is? Get out of my office," he growled, then put his head back down.

Now, any sane person would have hightailed it out of there and waited for him to calm down, but sadly not me, I had to go and open my big mouth.

"Excuse me? I don't know who you think you are, but you have no right to talk to me or anyone that way."

"That is no way to speak to your superior, you are the one in the wrong here, barging into people's offices without notice is completely unprofessional," he barked out rising from his seat.

"And I apologize for that but you still had no right to yell at me like that," I ranted.

"May I remind you that I am your boss, I could f-"

"Well then act like it!" I interrupted before he could say the words that I knew were true, I cleared my throat after my outburst and spoke more calmly, "Now give me the work I need to do and i'll be out of your hair."

He glared at me looking me square in the eye, probably testing if I would back down and look away. When he realized I wouldn't he removed his glare but continued frowning as he retrieved a pile of files from the corner of his desk.

"Your desk is the one right outside this office, take these files and enter them into the computer, you are not to leave your desk until they are all finished, are we clear?"

"Crystal clear Mr.-" I stopped realizing I didn't even know his name but quickly looked down at his nameplate, "Mercier."

I turned on my heel after nodding at him signaling my departure.

Once I was out of the office I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding.

This job was going to be hell, that, I was sure of.