Scene 2 - What Has Happened

The Doctor and Jo have returned to UNIT HQ. They are back inside the laboratory and arrive at the TARDIS.

Jo:

Seems as though the Master said what he meant. Everyone has disappeared.

Doctor:

Yes. And left Earth completely undefended against an alien attack. Fortunately, they've headed away from Earth, and that means only one thing.

Jo:

We've got to go after them in the TARDIS.

Doctor:

Right first time.

The Doctor unlocks the TARDIS and him and Jo enter the console room. Once inside, the Doctor immediately activates the materialization lever, so the ship begins travelling in time and space. The column moves up and down as the ship groans and wheezes.

I've relayed a course for us to follow that Morok ship.

Jo:

They'll be headed back to their homeworld then.

Doctor:

Well, Xeros has ended up becoming their home planet, Jo. And hopefully, we shall arrive before they do. Their form of time travel is a very crude form of it.

Jo:

And I suppose we will have to wait and see what we can do when we get there.

Doctor:

Yes. And where the TARDIS lands us. And hopefully, if I get my bearings right, I'll know where we are going.

Jo:

So you've been there before.

Doctor:

I have. Several hundred years ago, I think. That's the problem with time travel Jo, you've been around for so long you forget how old you are.

Jo:

So, do you really know how old you are then, Doctor?

Doctor:

Of course I do. Well, a rough estimate anyway. If I think I remember the estimate is right.

Jo giggles.

Jo:

If you claim to be several thousand years old then, Doctor, I suppose you can't remember much about life when you were a boy. I mean, you remember your blackest day, don't you? Like, you still remember your parents and your family, right?

Doctor:

Oh, of course I can remember my family, Jo. I still have lots of fond memories back home. Plenty of them. Not to mention travelling the cosmos meeting aliens and venturing into countless civilizations. But our pasts and our experiences make up who were are, aren't we?

Jo:

Yeah. Like if I had passed my A Levels or never got those strings pulled so I could join UNIT, I wouldn't be Jo Grant. I'd be someone else. Jo Grant just wouldn't exist anymore. Even if I didn't eat that apple earlier, everything would be totally different. Something like that.

Doctor:

That's right, Jo. Even something so insignificant as that.

Jo laughs, and the Doctor fiddles with the controls of his TARDIS.

Ah yes. We will be arriving any moment now.

Jo:

The ship didn't seem to be moving that quick.

Doctor:

Well, it is moving quite quick, Jo. I've only followed its path back to Xeros. The ship has yet to arrive. Or rather it is.

Jo:

Huh?

Doctor:

Well, you see, Jo, now that we are involved in the events with the Master and the spaceship, we cannot interfere in the timelines that have been created. So we couldn't arrive earlier than they could. Because if we tried to anyway, it wouldn't have made much difference.

Jo:

Oh. I think I see now.

Doctor:

Here we go, prepare for landing.

The TARDIS was beginning to materialize...