CHAPTER SIX ⎯ DID YOU JUST PLAY ME?

"You know, I'm starting to get the feeling Dad's avoiding us

"You know, I'm starting to get the feeling Dad's avoiding us." I said. Five and Diego nodded on. "Hate to be the boring one, guys, but, uh, it's time we get the hell out of here." Lila said out of the blue. 

Five looked at me. It's time we talked to her about our suspicions. 

"When you say 'we,' who exactly are you referring to?" Five asked while putting on a fussy cat face. "Not a lot of ambiguity in that sentence." Lila said while putting on a awkward smile. 

"Listen, I don't know who you are or where you came from, but whatever it is, I'd advise you return posthaste." Five said harshly. "She's right, Five. We gotta get outta here." Diego said from behind me and Five. 

"I just saved you and Y/N's life, you kinder-shit." Lila meanly replied to Five. "If I hadn't stepped in, all that would be left of you and Y/N would be blazers and some bloody socks." She spat at us. "And that's the problem. You're too good. You ask too many questions. You know too much." Five replied to Lila's whitty comments. 

"And you fight like you know what you're doing." I added on. "They've got a point." Diego supported us. 

"So I know how to handle myself, and that makes me the bad guy?" Lila fought back. "Whoever you are, you're in my way. If I see you again, I will kill you." Five said finally before walking away. 

I followed him and put my hand on his shoulder. He sharply turned around. 

"And I need to talk to you. It's important ." Five said. "Um— Okay, I guess" I said while rubbing the back of my neck. I hated having talks like this. Especially when they say it's important. And especially when it's Five Hargreeves. 

We walked to the rock area again and stood there. Five stood in front of me while I nervously played with my dress. 

"This is about us ." He started. "What do you mean by 'us'" I asked. 

"Our relationship kinda thing going on right now"

I felt a small pain in my chest from getting scared. "What about it?" I asked quietly, too nervous to speak. "Well— I don't want to be harsh, but I wanted to say what my heart says at the moment." He replied. I nervously gulped. 

"A few days ago, we were kissing under the stars and smiling at each other, thinking that we were meant to be. And we are. But we also aren't . Life has been complited for both us. We're in the 1960s and there is another apocalypse coming, and I don't think it's time to go snogging off. I think we should cut whatever you call this. It's not working. We've been toxic towards each other and fighting with each other almost everyday since. You've been very touchy  and flirty  with me, and I don't like it, to say the honest truth. I think it's best for us to be siblings. And just that. I hope you understand."

I looked at him in the eyes. I felt sharp pains in my chest and I also felt tears fill my eyes. 

"B-But I thought we had it all? I thought you said we were the one?" I said while my voice cracked in tears. "That was 2019. As I said, now is not the time for this. We have to stop the apocalypse. and that's it."