0.4

[Alex]

Starting the day with writing class used to be what made Alex's mornings great, but now that she knew she had to pick a partner for the year-end project, she wasn't so sure.

Alex loved to write, especially when she would get those waves of inspiration after she'd read a good book, but she really didn't know what to do about her project. It was almost as if she dreaded walking into her favorite classroom.

Mr. Williams wasn't her favorite teacher, and Alex wasn't his favorite student, but they got along well somehow. He didn't call her much to present her work, but as Mr. Williams had told her before, he thought it was exceptional. Maybe he just wanted to keep me quiet because there was this weird idea going around that most brilliant people were quiet, even though I'm not brilliant, Alex thought.

As usual, Michael, Calum, and Luke sped through the door exactly twenty-seven seconds before Mr. Williams got in. Alex noticed that since the year started, because she was looking for something to signal their teacher coming into the classroom. It was weird, she admitted to herself, but she didn't want to be scolded because she was so deep in her book while the rest of the class was greeting Mr. Williams.

"Good morning class," Mr. Williams greeted, earning an unenthusiastic one from his students. "I assume you all have partners by now?"

The students replied with a yes in unison and dreaded to hear what their teacher had planned for their project.

Alex on the other hand, didn't reply as she knew if she were to reply with the same thing it was to be classified as a lie. She hung her head down low and began thinking of things to say if ever Mr. Williams were to ask as to why she did not have a partner yet. It wasn't like she had to dig deep for inspiration, Alex wasn't that bad at writing, so she could probably pull it off with any partner since their project would most probably be on their recent topics, like how to understand Romeo and Juliet, the more technical things than all of that shi.t which was stupid and close to the heart.

"So your project will be a bit personal," the teacher began. "I hope you've chosen good partners because you will be writing about what made you choose your partner; what's so great about this person that you trusted your grade in their hands?"

Great, Alex thought. I don't even have a partner to write about and now he's saying crap about writing about them.

"Your grades will depend on how interesting you make the person sound. If I sense you lying about the person I will not hesitate to deduct," Mr. Williams deadpanned. "Go to your partners and begin."

The students swarmed around in the classroom, and by the noise they were making it was clear that they weren't even planning on doing the project. Since it was by partners they would obviously be using the time to talk and what not. Except for Alex, of course.

Alex sighed and sank in her chair. She really wished that Nate would just come back and be her partner, but of course it wasn't going to happen. The project could be hopeless if Alex didn't find a partner soon, and she didn't want any failing grades. Maybe this is what she got for wanting to be alone all the time, an F on her favorite subject.

"Mister Clifford, do you not have any partner to attend to?" Alex's head perked up as she heard Mr. Williams talking to Michael. "Cause if you don't, I won't hesitate to give you a failing mark."

Michael nervously cleared his throat. "Well, uh, actually-"

"I'm his partner, sir," Alex shot up from her desk and stood next to Michael, making his eyes grow in shock. "I'm sorry if it looked like he didn't have a partner, I kinda just thought we could work on this in a more quiet place?"