34. A Chilling Revelation

Chammielle had come to bed late. Will was fast asleep and she'd lain down beside him and stroked his damp hair until she succumbed to her exhaustion. The morning came quickly after that.

"Good morning."

The kiss on her forehead was warm and her eyes opened slowly.

"Mmh, good morning."

He lay back down at her side and she allowed her fingers to entwine themselves in his hair once more.

"You came to bed late. How long did that last thing take you?"

She sighed but smiled.

"Not too long. I saved these for us."

She reached to the small table beside the bed and uncovered a plate. Three cream puffs filled with chocolate cream, five petit fours, four shortbread cookies, and one large slice of Mohnkuchen. She'd also snuck a few fresh strawberries to dot the plate.

"Oh! Good, I wasn't so sure I wanted to leave everything for the staff. As your husband, I do feel entitled to my cut."

She giggled at him and sat up, pulling the plate to her lap.

"Here..."

Chammielle fed him a bite of the poppy seed cake and watched the tired smile spread wider over his face.

It was an odd thing. Lying here next to the Crown Prince and feeding him her personal recipes. The languid feel of the morning and the intimate setting was never something she'd seen for herself. Not with a man. Not with the future King.

But it was Will.

At least on the surface she knew she wanted to be here with him. How she really felt about him was slowly becoming apparent. But she was taking her sweet time finding out.

"What do you want to do today? Can we go out into the gardens?"

He groaned and she popped a petit four into his mouth as well as in her own.

"I could get used to this... I don't want to leave this bed today. But I do have more paperwork to do..."

She nibbled on a shortbread and served him another bite of Mohnkuchen.

"Why not take the day off? You seem tired."

He shook his head from side to side, chewing and leaving his eyes closed. His hair brushed at his cheeks when his did that and she smoothed it away from his eyes.

"I wish I could. But I'd like to get these things done before the wedding celebrations are over. That's when the real work will begin, a lot of what Magnolia has been doing will fall to me."

Chammielle frowned at that and gave him a strawberry.

"I'll come with you then."

"No, you shouldn't be trapped inside just because I am. Go enjoy the garden and I'll see you for luncheon."

She smiled at him for that and kissed his warm cheek.

"Alright, but after luncheon you are not leaving this room until dinner time."

He nodded and she rewarded him with a dollop of the chocolate cream on her lips in a sweet kiss. She parted from him but felt his fingers in her hair as he tried to pull her back.

"Do that again."

...

She felt like she hadn't been outside in ages. Her arms stretched and she was happy to be out among the flowers in the sunshine. It was a perfect day. Warm with cool breezes blowing by the puffy clouds. The greenery surrounding her in all of its manicured glory. Butterflies flitted just out of reach of her fingertips.