16. The Concert

Chammielle had changed back into her dress in no time, but once again a surprise had been waiting for her.

This time it was pink hair jewels. A lovely chain of them, shaped like daisies. It went extraordinarily well with the dress, and Belladonna put her hair up more elaborately so she could incorporate the gems. At the last minute she decided to add the choker as well. All the pieces matched, though the hair gems actually looked floral. It made her wonder if the Duke of Columbine had a thing for pink daisies.

"Alright, I have your papers, let's be off."

They headed in the direction of the grand salon. Chammielle let Belladonna lead the way since she had no clue where that was. They turned a corner and were suddenly stopped.

"Be-"

The maid turned back to her and pressed the binder into her hands, a finger to her lips.

"Whatever you do, look devastated."

And then she moved behind her.

"Chammielle! What a surpr-"

Gladys fell into her, seemingly tripping over her own feet. She instinctively dropped her book and grabbed her, making sure she was alright. A figure moved in that moment and she heard a crash. Her arms hugged Lady Rosenblum about her shoulders and her hand shielded her head.

The commotion passed, and she saw it.

A pitcher of blood red wine spilled all over her now open book. Her pages were so soaked through you could see nothing but red mixed with shards of glass. Not a drop of ink remained clinging to the pages. All of it was gone. Five years worth of pieces she'd carefully written and perfected.

And then she saw who had done it.

Lady Clarendine stood over it all, a feigned look of shock on her face. She had planned this. She had used Gladys. She had destroyed her life's work.

And then...

She remembered what Belladonna had said just before.

"My...my music...it's...it's ruined..."

She went to kneel and pick through it but Belladonna held her back.

"My lady! There's broken glass everywhere!"

She struggled a moment and then began to sob. It was real. She felt so deeply all the times she'd written in the pages so many beautiful notes. Such afternoons filled with delight at discovering a new sound and melody to carry her away. All her sisters had danced to those songs. Her tears were hot.

"Lady Kuchen, I am so sorry. I hope that wasn't important."

She squared her shoulders and made her tearful eyes meet with her triumphant ones. She needed to see what she had done to her.

"Not more important than Gladys' life. Are you alright, Lady Rosenblum?"

She turned her flowing eyes to her and saw what she needed. Guilt. Gladys had been instrumental in this.

"I-I'm fine...oh, Chammielle..."

She wiped at her tears for her and put on a fake smile as she sniffed.

"It's alright. It'll be alright. Some of those were written for the girls... I'll remember them again. Just..."

She wiped at her face once more and Belladonna cupped her shoulders.

"Come along, my lady. Let's get your face cleaned up."

Her shoulders shook visibly as a maid passed them. Belladonna instructed her to go and get a broom and mop for the mess. Footsteps echoed hurriedly behind them as they made their way.