10. What's Your Poison?

Chammielle headed back to her quarters and found Belladonna staring at her two gowns she had decided were most suitable for dinner. They lay on the bed and she held her chin in her hand and sighing at them. Apparently she didn't care for either of them.

"Belladonna, I need you to take me to the kitchen again."

"Nonsense, we've only got two and a half hours before you need to be in the grand dining room minus your meeting with the Duchess. And you need to be wearing an evening appropriate perfume so we have to get you cleaned up."

"Someone tried to poison Lady Rosenblum at tea."

Her eyebrows shot up.

"Do the ladies know?"

"No, I discovered it before she ate it and distracted her until Princess Tulip could cause a disturbance and break the plate. We need to hurry."

She nodded at her and followed her from the room, locking it behind them.

"Never can be too careful, my lady."

They had gotten around two corners when they came across Ianthe.

"Where are you going in such a state?"

She smiled at her sister, "Belladonna wants to get me ready for dinner, but I wanted to thank Chef Malbeck for the excellent spread we had at tea."

"Quit dawdling, we're waisting daylight."

Ianthe rolled her eyes at the maid and gave her an understanding smile.

"Tell him I adored those tarts. And particularly the rose and pistachio scones."

"I will."

They continued on, careful not to look rushed. Finally they made it to the kitchen, and a handful of guards and Duchess Columbine were there.

"I'm telling you, I did not make this. Raisen came in with it saying Princess Tulip wanted more of these, but I don't know what it is."

Alfrina looked to her and quickly snapped her fingers.

"I want everyone besides Chef Malbeck and Raisen to be taken to the East Wing for further questioning."

Several of the guards left them as they ushered out the kitchen staff. Chammielle looked around at each of them, daring to hope none of them was working for Lady Clarendine. And if they were that they didn't know what the pastry contained.

When everyone had gone, the Duchess turned to her.

"I haven't heard what happened at the tea party. Update me."

Chammielle explained the events in detail, only leaving out the ring in her cup. Whoever was gifting her these things, she suspected Alfrina knew. But there was no point in telling others who might not be in the know.

"Excellent. Lady Kuchen, can you by chance identify what this might contain?"

She stepped forward and examined it.

The chocolate had melted a bit on top of it, revealing small gray pieces within the previously hard shavings. It also smelled of almonds. Apart from that, she could not tell what the filling was. It looked sweet but had a savory scent.

"My guess would be some low dose of arsenic. It might not kill right away, but if Lady Rosenblum had eaten this today and another like it tomorrow..."

"Then she would at the very least be too ill to remain here, and at the worst be buried the day after tomorrow."

"I cannot tell what the center is though...it's very...beautiful but I find it unappealing."

Alfrina stepped forward and stuck her finger into it. She was going to taste it? As she brought it to her mouth Chammielle reacted. She grabbed her finger and tried it herself.