27. To Hold

"Long live Princess Chammielle!"

Someone was toasting her for the eighteenth time this banquet.

It was tradition after the wedding to have as many days of feasts as there were maidens in the bride's house. If it was only the one girl, they'd have one. But because of the triplets they'd have three more days after this. She felt sorry for the Palace treasury. More so if Will had chosen a Phlox.

Will...

He sat beside her looking perfect and charming. His embrace during the wedding had caught her off guard. He was incandescently happy, that much was clear. So why did he look worried?

She reached up onto the table and touched his wrist. His head turned to her instantly, and those dark steely eyes spiraled into focus.

"Yes, my Princess?"

She blushed and watched that teasing dimple surface.

"You seem worried. Is something wrong?"

He sighed, but continued his smiling. He whispered to her while still facing the crowded grand banqueting hall.

"I thought I'd lost you last night. I suppose I'm still worried you might disappear."

He was worried about her?

"I wasn't the one shot. Yes, I was the target, but we've caught her and her assassin."

He shook his head slightly and his dark curls tickled her cheek from their proximity.

"No, when Aster was shot...I thought you'd hate me. Because I couldn't protect her from a flimsy attempted murder. You left and wouldn't even look at me. I thought I'd never see you again."

She laced her fingers with his. Gripping them to pull him from his dour thoughts.

"I'm sorry, but you're perfectly wrong. Your own sister was kidnapped once. I thought mine had died, and I was grief stricken. Surely Alfrina told you what I was up to?"

He shook his head and seemed to shiver even as he smiled.

"My what a Queen you'll make. I've never been one for public beatings or executions. Shall I expect to hand those over to you from now on?"

She kicked him under the table and he laughed. Biting at his own hand while still holding hers in it.

"I tease. They're gruesome things, though necessary at times. We never need attend them but for special occasions. And even then we can delegate that."

She chewed her tongue but couldn't help the smile on her face. If this was the way he wanted to lighten the mood, she'd be game.

"Such elegant outings we shall have together. I'm sure the other ladies would not be so jealous of my marriage if they knew what sort of dates we shall keep."

"Yes, I'm quite the romantic am I not?"

She just couldn't help herself.

"Shall I expect one of those fancy jewel encrusted guillotines for our anniversary?"

He'd been about to take a sip of champagne but narrowly escaped spraying it over his plate.

"I am not going to get a moment's peace with you, am I?"

"I should think not."

"Good."

The laughter and chatter throughout the long dining tables continued. Chammielle could hear several times someone or other going and congratulating her father for having so many daughters. The commentary on her appearance it seemed had all been in her head. Or perhaps the guests were simply too afraid to say anything. Either way, she was glad.