3. Careful

The Prince had returned from his walk with Aster and escorted Ianthe away in the time Chammielle had gone and then returned. What she'd told the girls earlier was clearly being passed on to Aster as she took her seat once more. Her yellow dress fluttered around her as she hopped up and down in her seat. It was Chryssia's turn to hush her.

"Quiet! He might hear you!"

"Nonsense, the garden is dampening, not acoustic. The wall was built by a master stone mason for that purpose to promote serenity."

Aster had a point, but Chammielle wondered if the stone mason had foreseen such exuberant royal candidates.

Most likely not.

"So, does this mean one of our names could be on the royal wedding invitation...? Oh just picture it! Announcing the marriage of His Highness Prince William IV of Garten and Lady Kuchen..."

Her hands were stretched out in front of her like she expected such words on a large town square sized banner instead of a stamped and sealed invitation. Chammielle laughed quietly at her youngest half sister's antics. What did they do during their expensive tutoring sessions?

"No, I'm afraid not. The bride is not announced until the day of the wedding."

Chryssia looked particularly puzzled at that. But Aster wasn't so far removed. Chammielle found herself sighing quite a lot today.

"Have you not been paying attention in Garten history?"

Chryssia looked to her sister at the same time Aster looked at her. They stared a moment before returning their gaze to her expectantly. It was very like them when they were little and wanted to hear a story.

"Goodness..." She breathed, then began.

"Well, when it comes to the royal family, princesses are often married to eligible princes of other kingdoms as a matter of diplomacy and strengthening friendships to promote international peace. But a prince of Garten chooses his own princess from the noble families of Garten, not the Queen. But as far back as two hundred years, the announcement has been hushed due to the death of Prince Amond II's fiancee. So, as a tradition, once the Prince has returned from his visits the ladies are all invited to the palace one week before the wedding. They remain there, and it allows the royal family to really test the girls' character. At the end of the week, the very morning of the wedding, the prince's choice is announced."

The girls seemed shocked as they processed this news. It was understandable, their penchant for intrigue and mystery was not as strong as their desire for romantic stories. Not knowing you're getting married until the morning of fell within the lines of mystery rather than romance. But it was for a good reason, she could see that.

"How..."

"Yes, um, very..."

They were struggling with this. Chammielle sighed and decided to lighten the mood. Despite her misgivings.

"It's one week we'll stay in the palace together and meet the Dowager Queen and have tea parties in the perfectly manicured royal garden."

The girls gripped each other's hands and hopped up and down squealing together. The noise was shrill and grating, but at least they didn't have any pinched looks any longer. She smiled at the seventeen year olds, so obsessed with all things related to luxury and status.

The creamy white tulle of her gown with deep pink dianthus embroidery was more extravagant than anything she would choose for herself. But it did feel nice. She only hoped she could wear her usual chemise and skirt at the palace a few times during the week. They must have some sort of reprieve. Otherwise these tightly laced bodices might be the death of her. Not that she wasn't used to a bodice, but oh the feel of bursting!