Chapter 40: Safety

It's been three weeks since they've moved into their home, and told their parents about their marriage. Now well into February, and almost Valentine's Day, everything has been going nicely for the Lawrence's. Despite schoolyard frustrations, and Ava's parents still not speaking to her. A huge weight has been lifted off their shoulders. 

They feel free and it's weird because none of their friends are. While their friends are still living at home, dating (or trying to date or eternally single like Dutch), and figuring out what to do after high school; Johnny and Ava are cruising along on solid ground. They truly never thought, or planned, to be in this kind of situation but here they are. Sometimes life's curveballs are a good thing. This is one of those times.

Their only questions are concerning college. They're still not sure where to attend. Do they go to the same college, or do they go to different ones? And if they go to different colleges, then how will it impact their relationship? Those are the things they have to work out. 

The Sunday dinners, with Grandpa Jack and Grandma Irene, have turned out to be a good thing too. It's allowed Ava to spend more time with her grandparents and allowed Johnny to get to know them better. They're still aristocratic in their manners and attitude, but they've been loosening up a little more. While her grandmother has been promoting her Women's Founders Society, trying to get Ava interested (which she isn't), Grandpa Jack began introducing Johnny to the world of money.

He and Johnny actually have a few things in common, especially the knack for making money. Before he became semi-retired, Jack Green was an investment capitalist. He took over the family business from his father, Green Investments with the tag line "where we grow your greens". Even semi-retired, he's still making money with his own money. Jack Green is a billionaire, twice over. His third son, Sam, is running the family business for him now. His other two sons weren't interested.

Jack had Johnny bring his portfolio over one Sunday. The two of them went through it with a fine-tooth comb. Before the Lawrence's left, Grandpa Jack had shown Johnny where he could make another million in profit (before he graduates in May). Johnny has slowly become one of Jack's favorite family members. 

He's gone so far as to ask if Johnny's ever considered a future in finance. To which Johnny, says "I like investing and making money, but I really want to own my own dojo one day. I knew I was going to marry Ava, eventually. I saved for both her and the dojo." 

Jack smiles and told him, "If you ever are interested come talk to me." Then the two carry on about stock interests. Ava watches Johnny, with proud eyes, conversing with her granddad and continues to be amazed. Everyone thinks they know her husband, but they really don't. 

They think he's some stupid, preppy, gorgeous, dumb, jock. But he isn't. Hidden behind his "public" persona is a really intelligent guy. If anyone actually wants to know Johnny Lawrence, then read his face and his eyes. His face show all of his emotions, but his eyes. Oh, his eyes! The hottest fires burn blue, just like his eyes. He should hide his eyes because people can see his heart through them. Which is similar to her.

Wednesday, two days before Valentine's Day, the guys were at a soccer team practice. They were in formations running drills. Johnny and Ava drive separately on days like this. She had already gone home. There's no way he'd make her wait around until practice is over. Coach Tillbury was working them hard today and the sweat was already pouring off Johnny, Dutch, and Bobby in buckets. They had their shirts off because of it.

Across the way, the guys noticed the girl's tennis and track teams were practicing too. Ava's mean-spirited cousin, the burnt trollop, Misty happened to make the tennis team. She plays doubles with her equally revolting partner, bitter Barbara. The two of them kept gazing over at the soccer practice more than one time, checking out a few shirtless Cobras. They could tell the girls were focusing on them because they were pointing their way and talking behind their hands.