Chapter 14: Shadows

Her mother checked her out at lunchtime. Thank goodness she wouldn't have to endure questioning looks anymore. Tommy was the worst. When she and Johnny arrived at school, he held her hand a little tighter and kept her by his side a little longer. She was doing OK, really, until Tommy pointed it out. He made her feel like some hideous monster and made her want to hide in the shadows.

First, his eyes got big, round as a baseball. Then he held his hand over his mouth. "Color abuse! Color abuse right here," he shouted with laughter. He grew quiet when he saw the thunder written on Johnny's face. 

She tried to go along with it. "Blue hair don't care." But even she wasn't buying those words. Putting on a brave face, she faced her peers with dignity. The dignity deserving of blue hair. Johnny was by her side every step of the way, except in classes they didn't share together. Which was basically all of them, but he did meet her after every single one to walk her to the next.

During lunch, the secretary came to get her. She explained that her mother is here to pick her up. Johnny pushed up the sleeves on his red Cobra Kai jacket and reminded his girlfriend "I have to stay awhile after school and help finish decorating. Then I'm changing at home. But can I come over and have you help me with the face paint?" 

Nodding she said, "Of course." After standing up from the table, she grabbed her belongings. "Take a long look because the next time you see me, hopefully, I'll have normal hair again," she mentioned. 

He stood up with her and touched her hair. "I don't know. It's kind of growing on me." His fingers ran through it.

Taking his hand in her own, she retorted "Be serious. It's revolting, but thank you for trying to cheer me up regardless. You're a great treat for this awful trick." He leaned down and kissed her forehead. They squeezed hands goodbye.

Then she was off to the office where she met her mother. Her mom, bless her, had a Wendy's chicken sandwich meal waiting for her in the car. She didn't even ask how school was, which Ava is also thankful for. It's like her mom's intuition kicked in and she just knew how terrible it was. They rode in silence all the way to the salon, Mia Bella

If this is the prelude to the dance, then she's unsure if wants the actual thing. The day started with a trick, a nasty trick. As she looked at a strand of her blue hair, she can't help but wonder what more this day has in store? It has to end better than this, right? After all, it's a full moon tonight. Full moons are magical, mysterious, and when wishes come true. At least that's what she read in a book. 

As soon as they arrived and checked in, Javier whisked them away. He tsked and shook his head. His Italian accent came through when he spoke. "We can fix it. This is what we will do. First, we wash it good. Then we bleach and re-dye with a honey brown. If you want we leave some blonde low lights in. It will be a happy mixture of light and dark. It's up to you."

Ava agreed to his plan. Anything will be better than looking like a Smurf. He led her to the washing stations and clarified her hair with a soothing shampoo. It got a lot of the blue dye out. Then he set about doing what he explained. By the time she set under the big dryer, with the brown hair color in, it was two o'clock. 

Growing antsy, Ava was ready to leave. She has to get ready for the dance tonight. But her hair is important too. More irritation flared, after flipping through another magazine. Seriously how many times does she need to read about How To Get His Attention with looks he'll love? And she's also tired of reading about freaking John Stamos. The guy is in all the magazines. All of them! Sure he's gorgeous, but so is Johnny. Finally, Javier turned the chair around.