Chapter 13: Kisses

The first time they kissed was in ninth grade. It was the first time either of them had kissed, or been kissed by anyone, other than their parents. It was awkward trying to figure out what to do with lips and hands. Once they got the hang of it, they never wanted to stop. Until they did, stop. When they broke up everything stopped. 

Time stopped. Life stopped. Truth stopped. Everything stopped. The two of them were living, but not actually living their best life, or being the best versions of themselves. But when they kissed on the deck, for the first time in years, it's like something inside of them said: "welcome home". If ever a kiss was a life-changing experience it was this one. 

And it was full of words they didn't need to say. It felt easy. It felt right. It felt like they were two people put together deliberately over time and space. The heart knows when the search is over. It's so weird how a person in almost two months can make you feel so much of what a person in two years couldn't. Time means nothing, but the right person means everything.

Once they got over the hurdle of their first kiss, the rest fell into place. It seems like years of repressed emotions and feelings tumbled out. Because they could not stop kissing and touching. If they weren't kissing then they were touching: massaging the neck, holding hands, a little brush of the hand on the arm or the leg, running their fingers through each other's hair. It's all super sweet. Or as Tommy likes to say "Sickening". 

They've definitely made up for the lost time. And they do things for each other without asking because they know the other person needs it. Ava will bring Johnny breakfast because she knows he doesn't eat at home as much anymore, due to bypassing Sid. She's also taken to making him lunch as well, twice a week. On Wednesday and Thursday, she noticed he would pick at his meal. Never really eating it. Not asking why, because who needs to ask why when it's gross Salisbury steak? She takes care of him that way. 

For her, Johnny makes sure she stays hydrated especially on the day she has a match. He'll stop by a store and buy the biggest bottle of water they have.  He also gives her neck massages after her practices and golf games. Knowing her muscles are tight and tired he just does it. And because he knows she likes it, he'll write her love letters. It's true writing love letters don't come easy to him, but he does it. For her. 

They haven't said the actual words I love you, yet. But they're always there on the tip of the tongue. They're also in every kiss, action, and look. When he looks at her, it's like he just realized what love is. And her face lights up every time she sees him. Every single time. When they talk about each other, it's like they hung the moon in the sky. That's how they look at each other too. 

Dutch even told him "She makes you smile like a complete loser. It's disturbing." He may have received a kick to the leg for that in practice.

But what Dutch doesn't know is, she looks at him like there's something inside him worth looking at. And that makes all the difference. In fact, his grades have improved all around. His attitude has grown leaps and bounds, he even tries to be polite to Sid (which is seriously hard to do). He's not even fussy with Sensei when he tries to correct his form. So much so, that Sensei asked "What's gotten into you? Lawrence whatever it is don't stop it." He doesn't plan on stopping it for a LONG time. Maybe ever. If this is what love can do, then his friends need the same thing too. 

For weeks it's been like this. When he's treated right and loved properly, Johnny Lawrence glows. And it's beautiful because he's calm. He's secure. People have been talking about it. They've never seen him this way. The only Johnny they've only ever seen is the anxious, insecure, loud, angry one. People can't help but wonder when the old persona will be back. They're just waiting for him to mess up. But people will always talk about you, no matter what you do. Johnny could care less. He's finally got his shit together. It means he's growing as a person. October has been a great month!