Chapter 4: Slow

May 1982 (3 days before school let out)

"Hey, Johnny. We're all going to Golf 'N Stuff after school. Bobby's mom will drop us off. You in?" Tommy asked. He's excited because a group of freshman girls is going too.

Johnny wasn't sure how to answer. On the one hand, arcade games and go-karts would be fun. On the other hand, spending time with Ava is more fun than those things. "If it's cool with Ava, then I'm in." He has the best girl. 

She's a total babe and understanding of things like this. She's the sweet to his sour. She's the even to his odd, the pretty in his world of ugly. She makes things good when everything is bad. She took his dead heart and made it alive again. He's tall, she's petite. He's got blonde hair. She has brown. He likes math. She likes English. It all works out. They complement each other in almost every way, especially the ones that count. Like peanut butter and jelly, they just go together.

Dutch sing-songed to him, "Ooooh. You have to ask AAAAva." He smirked at the end. 

With an unamused expression, Johnny rounded on his friend. "Well, at least I have a girlfriend, unlike you."

Not for one minute looking put out, Dutch kept smirking. "Look, Man. Batman: single. Aquaman: single. Wolverine: single. The Hulk: single. Isn't it obvious why I'm single? It's because I'm a superhero. Duh! It takes a strong chick to love all of this." He motioned to himself with his hand. "Or maybe just a total babe."

Both Johnny and Jimmy playfully shoved him. They all began walking to their lockers, talking about karate practice, arcade games, and movies along the way. Briefly parting, Johnny needed to put his books away and find his girl. Maybe she'd want to come along with him. He'll ask and see.

Smiling to himself, he almost didn't notice the note attached to the locker. Taking it down, he realized it's Ava's handwriting. His heart beat fast. Every note from her is a gift. He loves the way her letters are pretty and how her words get jumbled together when she's excited. Usually, he waits to read them at home, alone in his room. However, unable to wait the letter unfolded in his eager hands. 

Dear Johnny,

You're a great friend. Over this past year, we've had a lot of fun. We've laughed together, cried together, and grown close. I've been doing some thinking. I don't think this relationship is going to work out. You and I are on different pages right now. Don't take this hard or the wrong way, but I think maybe we should just be friends. We both have a lot of growing to do. You're going to date again, I know it. Maybe sometime in the future, it will even be me. But right now it's just not. 

Always,

Ava

The letter became crushed in his hand like his heart. Willing the tears not to fall, he threw his books into the locker, opened his backpack, and grabbed his sunglasses. With them on, they can hide any unwanted tears. Then he hurried off to the carpool line. On the way, his friends called his name but he ignored them and just ran. Seeing his mom's car, he jumped in. Once the door is closed and the seatbelt clicked, he turned up the radio to drown out his thoughts. 

"Hi, Baby. How was your day?" his mom asked. She smiled at him, but he couldn't smile back. Not now. He has nothing to smile for. Instead, he feels broken and numb. "I'll take your non-response as your way of telling me it was not good. I'll let you be for now, but know I love you. And I am here to listen anytime you need it." She drove off.