Chapter XXXII

The buffalos trudged through the steep trail up the plateau from the foot of the cliffs and ranges that made up the realm of Mandalungan. Rocks rolled down the cliffs as they made their way up on dug-out steps. The rain had ceased, but the waters left the steps damp. The rocks loosened up, as well as the soil. There were parts of the trail featuring stone barriers, and some parts, with overgrown vegetation, had cairns to mark the way. They, however, did not need these markers. They breezed through the upward path.

The journey up the plateau involved ascending straight, and then downward between small mountains, before turning left and ascending another steep path again. They crossed creeks and streams with waters lashing at the buffalos' legs. They went through parts with vertical drops to the side. They went through pygmy forests whose trees formed arches over the path. They traversed gorges and crossed stone bridges affording them the view of rice terraces from a distance along mountain slopes. They ascended, went along straight paths, and ascended again.

"I hope you still remember all this, Paglinawan," said the Datu of Mandalungan, who led the group of riders through the path. He donned a diadem made of gold and wore loose-fitting garments of green with golden adornments. Earrings of gold and brass, featuring cut jade stones, dangled from his ears. Around his neck was a necklace, also made of gold, resembling rays of the sun. He had markings on his body, of jagged, triangular patterns resembling the ranges of his own realm. He tied his hair into a bun, and his cheeks appeared constantly flushing. There was a blade with a golden scabbard and hilt attached to his side.

"I don't, to be honest," answered Paglinawan, who was on the same buffalo as her uncle, sitting behind him. It surprised her as they managed to fit on the saddle. Paglinawan told her uncle about their journey, of how Kabael guided her to Mandalungan, of how they ended up in Burigadangan, and of how the diwatas rescued them. She told the Datu of Mandalungan of the wonders of the city of Araw, of the diwatas, especially of Liwangin, and how Paglinawan unfortunately had to leave again. She told the datu of how she ran away, not wanting the Prince of Selurong to be her husband.

She relayed the events unfolding in Hamabar and how Kabael voluntarily took her to Mandalungan to escape death. She spoke of Tayag, who searched for her, but not in vain. She told him about Siti, the charismatic sailor from Begawi. She told him all the datu asked, who wanted to understand the circumstances of her flight to Mandalungan.

"Uyo Abayan," she said, "how is Iya?"

"She's doing well," said Datu Abayan, who held on to the reins of his buffalo. "She'd be pleasantly surprised to see you. She was worried sick when I left, but perhaps your presence will bring her delight in exchange. You've always known how fond your iya is of you, and now, you've grown into a fine young lady, although I do not think she'd be too thrilled seeing you with a blade."

"I'm sorry I didn't send for a kestrel to inform you of my coming. Everything became rather complicated. The journey did me well, at least, in getting my head out of . . . of the tragedy that befell my father's own realm."

"I can see that." Abayan beamed, "and you've brought a rather strange set of friends with you. I can't wait to get to know them better, assuming their intentions are well."

Paglinawan looked behind. There sat Siti, who had a piece of cloth wrapped across her face to cover her wound, crusted brown with her blood, and Tayag, riding with different warriors on buffalos. Somewhere along the line of riders was Liwangin. With her white mount, it was easy to spot her. On the same white buffalo, behind Liwangin, sat Kabael with his arms folded, his pauldron removed, and the wound on his chest wrapped with cloth as well. She beamed at the sight of both of them riding together on a single mount.