Chapter XXIX

They had left camp before the break of dawn, bidding Tarongoy farewell. As a parting gift, Tarongoy gave them small waterskins made of animal hide which they filled with water from the river and then wore on their backs, right below their packs. Tarongoy also offered them food of cured beef and cooked rice, enough for their journey ahead. The group then divided the food among themselves.

They forded the river and reached fields with vast clusters of trees scattered all over. The soil they trod on was damp, and grass grew short, but covered the entirety of the field. Paglinawan looked behind. There was the Varman Wasteland from a distance, with its rock-riddled ground lit by the rays of the sun rising in the east. Further down were rainclouds that began to disappear after a slight drizzle.

The disparity between two sides of the river astonished her, as they walked through grass and meadows, ascending hills growing steeper as they moved onward along the trail. Clouds slowly moved in from the south, laying low above the group. Rain was to come again. Paglinawan was thankful they at least made it through the river, but the steep ascents began to take pressure on her thighs.

All around her were different forests from a distance, appearing that the gods had taken care of the trees to look similar with each other. At times, they would cross narrow trails, with long drops on almost-vertical slopes to their sides. They were the only ones along the path, allowing them to view the jade-colored foothills around them. Paglinawan looked onward, toward the sight of a bluish silhouette of hills, cliffs, and mountains towering before them. Further was a much higher mountain, part of a rugged massif that almost disappeared into the turquoise horizon. Samrud, she thought. We are near.

But they weren't. The trail grew steeper still, and the group opted to rest a couple of minutes at a time. Paglinawan's heart could almost burst. The sun, although hindered by clouds, seared down on the group. She turned red, and sweat drenched her clothing. She didn't want to ask how many more hours it would take. They had been walking before the sun even rose. It neared midday. The sight of the plateau before her didn't even grow closer. Her stomach began to rumble. She remembered they had not eaten breakfast.

Kabael, who led the way, was not the least tired. He stayed up to stand guard last night, after all, yet perhaps Kabael faked his fatigue, as dark streaks formed under his eyes. Even ardhas needed to rest, Paglinawan believed. "Is everyone all right back there?" asked Kabael, who went on trudging and ascending up a hill.

"Not really," said Siti. She panted and wiped some sweat from her forehead. "I normally wouldn't want it to rain, but I wish it would. Strange how hot it is out here, even in the monsoon."

"We should find shade and rest for long," said Tayag, who had his hands on his waist, struggling to ascend the hill as sweat that soaked his headdress flowed down his face. "How long have we been walking, and how much further are we? The sun is too intense."

"I thought you would never ask for longer rest," said Kabael. He pointed at a tree along the side of the hill. "We can do so over there. We might as well have something to eat. I wouldn't want to see any of you dropping dead."

Paglinawan exhaled, "Oh, thank you," she mumbled and squatted down, wiping her sweat. "One minute."

"Paglinawan," said Tayag, "it's only a short distance to shade."

"Just let me breathe," she snarled, scowling at Tayag, who backed away with his eyes widening. Siti guffawed, clapping her hands. "I guess at some point, all of us fall to exhaustion."

"I need to take a nap." Kabael rubbed his eyes with his hand. "If you're ready, Paglinawan, let's move on."

Paglinawan stood up and patted some dirt from her clothes. "I'm ready." She smiled with her head up, sweat still dripping from her temples. "Lead the way, Kabael."