Chapter VIII

The trees grew thinner as Paglinawan and Kabael trekked through the forest. They crossed streams that flowed from the hills of the valley, brought about by rainwater seeping through the ground, forming canals of mud and rock. They scrambled down rock formations they believed were there for thousands of years, almost untouched by human hands. They bushwhacked through paths blocked by overgrown shrubs leading to what the early settlers of the valley called the Path of Merchants, which led to the north of Abuyo.

The clouds began to part, allowing the sun's rays to seep through the canopy of leaves that thinned as they went on walking. It would only take a few couple of hours, Kabael stated earlier, yet they had been trekking for more than half a day. She grew impatient, but trusted Kabael to lead them outside, but they hadn't rested, not even once. She grew pale, feeling that she could pass out. She had to speak up.

"Aren't you hungry?" she asked, trying to suppress her panting as they neared another stream. "I've some cured meat with me. I'm sure you could use some sustenance. After all, we've been walking for hours now."

Kabael shook his head as he walked a few steps ahead of Paglinawan. "I can go a day without eating."

"I see . . ." said Paglinawan. "That's interesting to know."

"If you do want to rest, then we can take a few minutes to sit down. I will wait until you finish eating, but know that we should be out of the forest after dusk. I can see that you're tired. You don't need to catch up with my pace."

Paglinawan placed her hand on her chest and exhaled. "Thank you. I thought you'd never mention rest." The thought of rest reinvigorated her. She dropped down the ground, stretching her legs forward. "I sure could use some tea right now."

Kabael grunted. He walked away, drawing out his blade.

"Wait," said Paglinawan. "Where are you going?"

"To fix you some tea," replied Kabael without turning his head.

"Huh . . . Quite the gentleman you are. All right. Just know that I'm not paying extra for such service."

Not far from them, Paglinawan sighted a cluster of bamboo trees and Kabael walking toward them. He stopped as they were before him and started chopping at a stalk of bamboo, removing its stems. He then proceeded to chop the stalk below its nodes, creating a hollow piece to serve as a vessel for water. He sheathed his sword. Carrying the bamboo cup, he walked back to the stream and fetched water with the vessel he had just created, before heading back to where Paglinawan was.

"Hold on to this while I make fire." Kabael handed the bamboo cup with water to Paglinawan.

"You know,"—Paglinawan took the cup—"you could have made fire first before fetching some water. I'm not sure if you're doing it on purpose or if you're just absent-minded."

Kabael grunted, ignoring Paglinawan's comment. He circled around the area with his eyes downward. He searched the ground for some flint and dried weeds for tinder. He gathered a few rocks and formed a circle with them and then placed the dried weeds in the middle and began striking two pieces of flint upon it, until the weeds ignited. He fed the fire with dry stems.

Paglinawan did not wait for Kabael to ask for the bamboo cup. She placed it upon the fire, tilting it a bit while being careful not to spill the water. She took more stems and fed the fire. "Where do we get tea?" she asked.

Kabael took his pack again. He drew out some tea leaves that he then placed inside the cup.

"Oh," said Paglinawan. She crouched down and eyed the bamboo, waiting for the water to boil. She then lifted her head to see Kabael sitting on the ground, wiping his pinuti with a piece of cloth. There was silence between them. Then, as Kabael was polishing his blade, he spoke.