ii.

"We were taught that the ardhas are naturally gifted in the art of magic, but only to a limited extent, and never as capable as the diwatas. Commonly, they use three major spells: The Spell of Aid, the Spell of Cinder, and the Spell of Energy. One observation I have with ardhas is with the Spell of Cinder, which effectively heats up their entire body, as if burning their innards. Alas, their physiology is more human, so they have a difficult time with its scorching effects within their bodies.

As a matter of fact, I've seen ardhas die from shock or heatstroke upon casting the Spell of Cinder. We conducted autopsies on the corpses of such ardhas to find their organs severely burned. Such is why those in charge of the ardha forces in battle advise them to use the Spell of Cinder sparingly.

Regardless, it is without a doubt the most powerful spell they can cast. I've even heard of legends of ardhas conjuring firestorms whenever they need to according to accounts from the Porcelain People of Huangjin (huobao, they referred to such power), but I do believe such would require better control. I can't imagine how taxing it is for ardhas to cast such powerful spell.

Be that as it may, the ardhas are still very much capable in battle even without the use of spells. Spellcasting is a severely limited affair for the half-diwatas, so their proficiency in battle compensates for it.

The Menangese will never expect what we have against them—a mighty force of ardhas ready to serve the Raja of Sriurvana. This is how we rule Maradika after we destroy Kamenangan. The ardhas are our best-kept secret."

Excerpt from the Medical Treatise of Suriman Potot, Punong Mananambal, 1066 UP