Chapter XXI

Kabael searched the area for dry kindling as rainfall continued to pound his back. He grumbled as he found that most of the leaves, moss, and weeds had been dampened by the rain. He made do with those that weren't too wet. He then started walking back to where Paglinawan and Tayag stayed to wait for the rain to stop. "Yawa'ng ulan," he grumbled. "It just had to happen."

Under a tree were Paglinawan and Tayag slumped against its trunk. A sheet of leaves and twigs placed between the branches served to prevent rainwater from pouring in. Kabael had made it for them. Tayag was shivering, even as Paglinawan kept him close. Kabael threw the materials before the both of them as soon as he arrived and sat down across the two. He squeezed moisture from his headdress and wiped his face with it.

"Those are wet," said Paglinawan. "How are you supposed to make a fire with those?"

Kabael grunted and snapped his fingers. From his right hand, fire flowed and emanated.

"I forgot you can actually do that. Now, I'm starting to wonder why you didn't make fire that way before we were caught by the mangalos."

Kabael ignored Paglinawan's remark, and his chest warmed up, urging him to cough for a bit, before recovering. He placed his hand over the mixture of leaves, weeds, twigs, and moss. Moisture began to fizz and boil. A minute after, there was smoke. Kabael halted streaming fire through his hand and began blowing on the embers of the kindling in front of him, struggling to restrain his coughing. After a few moments, fire sprung up. He then tossed the twigs together right into the fire. Traces of moisture vanished and the flame grew stronger. Kabael's body turned stiff, and he again coughed. The rain quenched his body cool.

"Thank you, ardha," said Paglinawan. She drew closer to the fire and dragged the lethargic Tayag with her. "Here, Tayag. Let's keep you warm while the rain is still around." Tayag nodded as he sat beside Paglinawan closer to the fire. He then drew out his hands near the flames. "Oh, that's good," he said. "It's just what I needed."

"You'd have to thank Kabael here," said Paglinawan. "I wouldn't have made it through the wilderness if he weren't around.

Tayag lifted his head toward Kabael. "Thank you, ardha," he said. "I apologize for the outburst earlier. I'm not sure what had gotten into me."

"Both the cold and the humidity," Kabael remarked. "You must have been within the wilderness for a long time. It drains you and leaves you unprepared."

"I learned the hard way," said Tayag. "In war, we set up camps that provide relative comfort for even the pickiest of warriors. During my time here, I brought nothing but my blades and my clothes. Perhaps a friend is right. The comforts of home do make humans weak. Shameful display, to see myself succumbing to the elements, while Princess Paglinawan got through it all."

"I wasn't alone," said Paglinawan. "Kabael here helped me. He was helping me get home safe, amidst the thunderstorm."

"So, he was going to take you to another realm?"

"Had I known she was the datu's daughter," Kabael butted in, "I would not have agreed, but she must head back to Hamabar and sort out all this mess."

"Allow me to recover first, ardha," said Tayag. "I will take her there myself. I wish I could make it up to you, for all the trouble you've been through."

"No need," said Kabael. "The amount your princess gave me will be enough."

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, Tayag, that Kabael took me to the realm of the diwatas after we escaped from the underground citadel of the mangalos. I saw for my eyes what they were like! I've never seen anything like the city of Araw."