Chapter XIV

"Liwangin . . ." Kabael chased her through the hallway of the Councilhouse as she made her way to the stairs which led to her quarters, along with her bride Maagin. "Liwangin, where are you going," he said. Liwangin halted halfway through the stairs and turned her head, tilting, as she eyed Kabael. Kabael hadn't seen that face in a long time, but he noticed she had turned sickly and her distinct glow was flickering.

"Maagin," Liwangin told her bride, "you go on ahead. I have some personal matters to attend to." Maagin bowed and went on ahead up the stairs. Kabael's footsteps echoed through the hallway.

"Liwangin," Kabael slowed down as she drew near her. "Would it be all right if we talked?"

"About what, Kabael?" she replied, looking at him as she lifted her head and her eyebrows with folded arms. "What is there to talk about, anyway? It is already clear enough that we are to deal only in important, non-trivial matters, and if you have anything relevant to tell me, then do so. Otherwise, maybe there is actually nothing to talk about. Let us keep things between us professional, ardha."

"So, this is how you treat an old friend?"

Liwangin scoffed and made a swishing gesture with her hand as she rolled her eyes. "An 'old friend.' I did not think you could be that conceited, but I guess that is what your trade has gotten you. I knew you worked as a hired blade, but I did not know you ventured into the guiding business. Has it been good? Well, what am I saying."

"You seem hostile." Kabael folded his arms.

"Oh, am I being hostile to you, Kabael? I never really saw it that way, I am rather just stating things as to the way they are. So please, ardha . . . if you have nothing relevant to tell me, then maybe you should run along. My bride Maagin is waiting. Why not see to the young Princess of Hamabar instead? She has a lot of explaining to do. Oh, what farce has caught you, ardha!"

"Liwangin." Kabael sighed. "I . . . I don't think I ever really apologized to you, so I'm guessing I ought to do it now. After all, I haven't been here in a while. I didn't think I'd see you again."

Liwangin sighed and placed her palm against her forehead. "Apologize for what? I do not know what you are talking about ardha. Although I will tell you this, that whatever it is that you are apologizing for, you probably lack sincerity. After all, ardhas like you, as they say, are nothing but war machines, worthy only of prowess on the battlefield. What are things such as love, compassion, and empathy to you?"

Kabael brooded. "I never thought you'd see it that way, Liwangin. Of all people, of all those who dwell in Araw, I thought you would understand. I'm sorry . . . this was a mistake."

He then turned around, ready to walk away from Liwangin.

"Ardha," said Liwangin. Kabael halted. "I do not think you really mean it, your so-called apology. After all the misdeeds you have done toward me, all the faults, all the troubles I have had to go through, which already includes bringing you into Araw with a human woman, then I highly doubt you are even sorry for anything."

"At the very least, I said something," mumbled Kabael.

"As usual with your kind, you always keep it at a bare minimum. Is it an ardha thing or is it a human thing? Or perhaps it is just you. I am not certain. Perhaps you should contemplate on that, Kabael."

There was a brief silence, and then Kabael turned toward Liwangin, eyeing her. "You're right," Kabael said. "Maybe I shouldn't apologize and maybe I shouldn't have bothered to do so. At the same time, maybe you shouldn't have bothered sending help if this is the sort of attitude you're showing me."