Chapter XXVIII

"Sanat," the Datu of Selurong said, "good to see that you've graced our ranks with your presence." Sanat bowed after going through beads covering the doorway to a windowless room lit only by a single lantern in the middle. There was a mat where the datu and two other men sat.

One man was a lean, sinewy figure with stubble on his face, barechested and covered with tattoos, with a blade and a dagger on his side. The other was one who tied his hair into a bun, donning a malong, a tube garment worn like a robe, which featured gold and orange wax printed patterns of waves. At the center of where they gathered was a scroll unrolled to reveal an old, crudely-drawn map of Abuyo. In the corner was Damo, Bagnol's oripun, who stood in silence, veiled in darkness.

Sanat sat in the middle of the two other men, facing Datu Bagnol, who fixed his eyes on the map. The man in a malong nodded at Sanat before focusing on the map, pointing at the location of Kota Hamabar.

"Some troops have tried moving northward from the city, where they traced the Galang River via an abandoned path right through the forest," said the man, moving his finger from the capital city's location upward near the Galang River. "They would have held an outpost by now by a cliff near the waterfalls upon scrambling up to high ground, but we had not heard from them. We could send another party to ensure that they've established an encampment, although that would take time."

"It does take time," remarked Bagnol. "I say we abandon the idea of going through that path instead."

"We could revert to our original plan of going through the Path of Merchants," the stubbled man said, tracing the road northward from the capital. "I don't see the reason we shouldn't do so, as it's easier for us to travel north."

"We've talked about that, Tapay," said man in a malong. "The datu cannot afford to hinder trade. This is not an attack, but a reconnaissance of the Northern realms in Abuyo. It would be foolish to show obvious military action that'd scare away traders. Goods must still come in and out of Kota Anawang, and later, Hamabar, once we declare the datu's son ruler."

Tapay folded his arms and sighed. "What do we do then, Dajaw? Bushwhack through thick jungles? The datu will be sending me and my men to finish the job, so we can't afford to end up as casualties. As commander, my men are my responsibility."

"Can we go through the coastlines instead?" asked Datu Bagnol, who placed his finger on the west coast of Abuyo.

"With all due respect, dear datu," said Dajaw, "while mobilizing ships along coastal banwas for us to use is one crucial consideration, it will take a week of trekking through uncharted lands, where Tapay's men could easily get lost. For another thing, tall cliffs and steep mountains block off Northern realms from the sea. These are highlands, and the lowest point outside the Galang Valley in the north is the Varman Wasteland. Even then, the coast is too far away."

"On their mothers' genitals. No ships, then." Tapay scratched his head.

"Of course, as a last resort, we could always take the Path of Merchants," said Dajaw, "but it's going to need some diplomatic machination, so as not to alert the Northern realms."

"I shudder at the thought of being under Mandalungan's eye," said Datu Bagnol.

"Yet our plan is to take this . . . Mandalungan, yes?" Sanat butted in. Everyone stared at him while he rubbed his chin. "That's rather ambitious. I heard it's one of the most powerful realms in Sriurvana, and you are trying to take it with the army you currently have."

"Of course, Sanat," said Bagnol. "For now, we cannot wage war, for it is a realm too powerful. Kota Sri Amosin sits on a plateau, making it even harder to attack."