𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:PROTECT HER

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
PROTECT HER

SHOULD HE FOLLOW HER? THAT was the first question that came to Grayson Stark's mind when he heard the sound of his mother making a quick exit from the house. He had peeked out the blinds of his window, watching as she stuffed her murder weapons into the trunk of her vehicle before quickly getting into the car and speeding away. He wanted to think that she was simply going on a mission she had found for herself to let off some steam about the fact that her daughter hadn't checked in, but something told him it was so much deeper than that.

Grayson stood there in his room for a few moments, jaw clenching slightly before he looked around his room, spotting his phone and quickly making his way towards it. He picked it up, holding it in his hands for a split second before dialing his sister's number and allowing it to ring. Why would she pick up when she hadn't the last thirty times he'd called her? She wouldn't. In fact, she didn't. Instead he was meant with the sound of her voicemail and this time he waited to speak.

     "Lily." Grayson spoke, placing his hand on his hip out of frustration and slight fear. "Lilianna if you get this, please call me. Please. Not only am I worried about you but I made the dumbass decision to tell our mother and I think she's about to do something bad. Don't worry. I'm following after her. I just want you to be aware. I hope you're still alive. I miss you." And then he hung up.

He was quick to stuff his phone into his pocket, throwing his coat over his shoulder and grabbing everything he needed before quickly running out of the house, not even bothering to lock the door behind him though he knew he should have. He hurried into his car, bringing the engine to life before pressing on the gas and speeding after his mother. His hand was tight around the steering wheel, so tight that his knuckles were turning a ghostly white. He had to get to his sister before Talia did. Because if something had happened. . . he wouldn't let his mother become the monster that she already is. Especially not if his sister was involved.

He sped down the road, the trees all blurring into one line of green. His mind was racing with the scenery, his head pounding and his heart running in his chest. If his mother was so worried that she would go running off, why shouldn't he be? Lilianna was his baby sister after all. He was supposed to take care of her, protect her, keep her alive. He should've taken her away when he had the chance. He should've kept her away from hunting, keep her from her destiny even though it would have found her eventually.

He hated the fact that vengeance raced in her heart because of what happened to their father. And that's why he had a file laying in the passengers seat of his car. The file that explains what really happened to their father. The thought made his knuckles turn even whiter, his grip on the steering wheel so tight he was sure to simply rip it off at any moment. His foot was pressing the gas to the floor, sending him over one-hundred miles per hour. He had kept the secret once he'd found out about it―︎unintentionally. It had scarred him so bad as a kid, and he hadn't wanted that for her.

Grayson's goal in life was to protect her. And keeping this secret to himself was his way of showing that. But he also knew that when she found out that he known for so long ,she was going to be angry. She was going to be hurt because they told each other everything and he hadn't told her the one thing that would've stopped her from becoming the ruthless killer that she was. All he could feel was guilt, and that's all he would feel until she found it in herself to forgive him.

He wasn't ready for the long drive ahead of him, but his determination would be the thing that would keep him going. He either had to find his mother, get to her, and figure out what the hell it was that she planned on doing. Or he had to find his sister and he had to figure out why she wasn't answering, warn her that their mother was coming, that she needed to be ready. To be prepared for the hell that their mother was about to bring down on them. But then again, no one could be prepared for the wrath of Talia Stark. Not even their father had been ready for that.

That's what had gotten him killed. But Grayson didn't want to think about that. No, he didn't. Because every time he thought about the untimely death of his father, it made rage sprout through his veins and inside his chest. Maybe that's why he had kept the secret from Lilianna. Not to just protect her, but to keep her from getting so angry that she exploded and kill whatever was in her path. She was cursed with their mother's rage like that.

He shook his head at the thought. If Lilianna had found out that it was their mother that had killed their father, the gates of hell would open and Lilianna would throw their mother six feet under into a grave of her own. And that's a conscious that Grayson didn't want her to live with.

 And that's a conscious that Grayson didn't want her to live with