𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER NINE:SAFE AND SOUND

CHAPTER NINE:
SAFE AND SOUND

SHE ALWAYS ENJOYED DRIVING MORE than she enjoyed arriving at her destination. She never understood why that was, but then again there were probably several reasons why she liked it that way. For one, her car was filled with the sound of her playlist that soothed her mind as she drove for several hours at a time. Another thing, it was her car. It was her therapy, her peace of mind, something that allowed her to get away from her crazy mother for as long as she wanted. And when she exited the car, stepping foot on the grass of the new state she would find herself in, that peace of mind completely left and her mind turned strictly towards her mission, and it wouldn't change until she was back in her car and driving home.

The dark haired woman allowed for her eyes to roam the town of Mystic Falls as she carefully made her way through. Her eyes narrowing in on some of the teenagers, making sure that her target wasn't anywhere near them, before realizing that this part of town consisted mostly of the humans. And that the Salvatore School was outside of the small town. She kept driving forwards, slamming on breaks with a gasp when someone ran out in front of her car in order to fetch the frisbee that had been thrown in the middle of the road. She clenched her jaw, quickly honking her horn as she flipped the guy off before muttering curses under her breath as she kept going. She could already tell that this place was going to be nothing like she had ever experienced.

She pulled into the place in which her hotel was, putting her car in park before narrowing her eyes at the building that she was positive hadn't been truly cleaned in months. She swallowed down her disgust, pushing her black curls behind her ears before letting out a huff as she exited the car. She popped the trunk, grabbing her duffel bag and placing it on her shoulder. Her bow and arrows were neatly tucked inside along with a change of clothes and the file that withheld all of the information that would allow for this already difficult mission to be a success. Closing the trunk, she quickly locked her car before huffing and making her way towards the building.

Lilianna walked up to the double class doors, pulling it open and quickly entering the hotel. Cobwebs seemed to be placed in every corner of the building, and suddenly sleeping in her car didn't seem like such a bad idea. She could've stayed at a nice hotel, but she knew that there was more of a chance of someone recognizing the hunter than it would be if she were to stay in the place she had chosen―︎ without even thinking of looking at the background of the place, which was clearly the biggest mistake she had made thus far.

Leaning against the front desk, she tapped her nails against the wood, patiently waiting for someone to show up in order to give her assistance. After five minutes of standing there, Lilianna couldn't help but roll her eyes before spotting the keys placed behind the desk. Lilianna pursed her lips before shrugging her shoulders, deciding she didn't have time for this bullshit before quickly jumping over the counter, swiping a set of room keys and then jumping back over as she quickly and not suspiciously made her way towards her room.

She was surprised the place had two floors, not really sure if the structure was fully holding it up. Nonetheless she found her room, and quickly inserted the key in the key hole whilst keeping aware of her surroundings. She knew that she had to be cautious, that she couldn't be spotted without getting herself exposed. She quickly pushed her way into the room, having to slam her shoulder against the door in order for the door to actually swing open.

"My God." Lilianna muttered, shaking her head before quickly closing the door and locking it. She placed her bag on the bed―︎one in which she absolutely refused to sleep in now that she was looking at it. She really should've chosen a different hotel. She made her way over to the window, taking a peak outside before quickly pulling the blinds and smiling in satisfaction when she realized that she finally had complete privacy (she didn't even bother checking for security cameras, knowing that no one cared enough to ever check them―︎hell, afford them).

She unzipped her duffel bag, smiling at the contents that were placed inside of it before grabbing onto the file. She slapped it down on the desk placed against the wall―︎a dingy lamp with a broken lamp shade placed on the corner of the desk. She closed her eyes as she turned it on, peeking one eye open before humming in surprise when the lamp had actually turned on. Now it was only a matter of time before the energy was cut from the building, and her only source of light would be her flashlight―︎which she had sadly left in the trunk of her car.

A sigh fell from the teenagers lips before a sudden realization hit her―︎she hasn't called her brother. He was probably worried sick―︎ the drive having been a little longer than they both anticipated. She pulled her phone from her back pocket, a breath of relief falling from her lips when she found that she did indeed have great service inside of the hotel. She quickly pressed her brother's contact before placing the phone against her ear. He answered on the third ring.

"Finally! I thought you'd died."

Lilianna rolled her eyes. "No need for the dramatics, Gray. I was just calling you to let you know that I've made it here safe and sound. And I only have a few hours to plan before I have to go out and complete this mission."

"Right, right. Sorry. I forgot that the hunter needed her beauty rest before taking down a tribrid. My apologies, your highness." He chuckled on the other end whilst Lilianna just scoffed in amusement, shaking her head.

"I wouldn't sleep on this bed if you paid me."

"Worse than you thought?"

"An understatement." She muttered. He laughed at this. "As much as I love talking with you. . ."

"Time is of the essence, I know, I know." Grayson hummed. "Just be careful out there, Lily. I mean it."

"Love you."

"Love you too." And then she hung up the phone.

She tucked her phone in her pocket before placing her hands on her hips as a sigh left her mouth. She nodded to herself before walking over to the file and pulling it open. "Alright. Let's get to work, shall we?"

 Let's get to work, shall we?"