Since You've Been Gone

26- Since You've Been Gone

*DAY OF BLAST-OFF*

Bulla sighed heavily as she tried her best not to suffocate from Pan's tight embrace. She had always known that her best friend had a bit of a troublemaker side to her, but what Pan was asking Bulla to do now was a bit too much!

"I don't like it," Bulla muttered into Pan's hair. "You know the mission is supposed to be dangerous, Panny."

Pan pulled back and pouted, "Papa will be with me, and so will Trunks. You know I can hold my own," she said with a secret smile.

Bulla huffed through her nose. She was probably the only one who knew Pan could go Super Saiyan, and she knew her best friend was tough. "You're still leaving me for an entire year."

Pan frowned, "come with me. I packed plenty of clothes, and we're about the same size."

The thought of going to space was both exciting and terrifying. Bulla knew it would be an adventure of a lifetime, but she couldn't see herself enjoying the long months of waiting to find a Dragon Ball. After a while, she imagined it would get boring. Plus, she would not be able to deal with wearing the same clothes over and over again and missing fashion week.

"I think I'm better off suited here on earth," Bulla said. She sighed as she looked at Pan, "are you sure about this?"

Pan glanced up at the ship with wide eyes. They were on the south side of the ship, hidden from the prying eyes of their families. Bulla had asked her Mom if they could check out the ship, and Bulma had agreed as long as it was quick. The girls had rushed in just long enough to go to the control room and grab the Overdrive Key before running out.

"Yes," Pan nodded. "I know Mama will be mad, but -" she sighed and shook her head. "I'll be able to show them all how dependable I can truly be."

Bulla knew what Pan really meant was that she would free of having to pretend to be perfect. Bulla knew there was no changing Pan's mind - not about this. The girl was hardheaded and stubborn, and Bulla loved her for it. She reached out and hugged Pan tightly, "I'm going to miss you, Pan-Chan."

Pan hugged her back just as tight, "I'm gonna miss you too, Bu-Chan."

"You promise to come back with the Dragon Balls, right?"

"Of course!" She patted Bulla on the back, "nothing's going to stop us!"

They broke apart and headed towards the ship's side, where the ramp was. Sneakily, they glanced both ways before Pan jumped up and dashed inside the ship. She peeked out and gave Bulla a farewell grin as she waved her hands. Bulla's lips tugged into a smile as she waved Pan back and watched as her best friend disappear into the ship.

Bulla waited another minute before she walked out into the opening where everyone was. Trunks and Goku were about to board the ship and check it out. Goten had flown back to the Son's house, apparently forgetting something. Everyone thought the blast-off was still an hour away, but Bulla knew that as soon as Pan saw Trunks and Goku that she was going to press the blast-off button.

Bulma was busy speaking with Chi-Chi and Gohan as she assured them that everything would be okay. Her Mom had complete faith in the abilities of Goku, Trunks, and Goten. Bulla just hoped that Bulma kept that upbeat attitude when she realized it was Pan instead of Goten.

No one seemed to be paying attention to Bulla - her Daddy was up on the second level, scowling at the ship. Bulla briefly wondered if he wanted to join the mission too. Marron had been there earlier with her parents but had left as they were on their way to visit Master Roshii. Gohan would be meeting up with them after the blast-off. Since the coast was clear, Bulla quickly stashed the Overdrive Key onto her Mom's desk and covered it with a few papers before rushing towards the stairs.