Contact

24- Contact

Trunks' mind was restless. He had been trying to go to sleep for the last several hours, but his mind felt too restless. He couldn't stop thinking about the communicator on the ship. Had the Namekians received his message - or had any someone else?

Trunks sighed as he sat up and rubbed his brow. Pan was curled up on her side, sleeping peacefully. Carefully, he got off of the bed and walked out of their bedroom.

"You're over-thinking this," Trunks told himself as he slipped out of his and Pan's apartment. He was just eager and nervous. He would check the ship and see that the light was still red and then go back to bed. Patience was a virtue after all - though he didn't have much of one.

The apartment building was quiet, and the basement was dark and cold. Trunks flickered on the lights and took a moment to stare at the ship. Trunks had perfected the blueprints he had come up with, and the ship was complete. That still didn't stop his worry that he had messed something up somehow.

Trunks walked over to the hatch and walked into the ship before heading towards the control room. His stomach twisted in nerves the closer he got, and his breath escaped him as he saw a green light flashing.

They had made contact!

Trunks rushed forward so quickly that he nearly fell. He grabbed the pilot seat and sat down in it. Trunks couldn't believe his luck! Was it Namek? His body was shaking as he reached forward to turn on the communicator.

The screen flashed, and Trunks looked up. He had set up a camera so he and Pan could talk face-to-face with whoever would answer. It only took seconds for the other end to answer.

Trunks had expected a Namekian or another species of aliens altogether. What he got was something he hadn't expected at all.

"Trunks!" The familiar voice was sobbing. "Oh, Trunks! My baby!"

Trunks' eyes were wide. He felt as if he had just been punched in the gut. There was no mistaking it. The person on the other end of the communicator was his mother.

"Mom," Trunks croaked. His throat tightened as his eyes burned. "Mom?!"

Bulma's eyes were red, and her blue hair was a mess as she stared at Trunks. "We've been looking for you and Pan!" She sobbed. "Oh, Vegeta!" She pressed a button to her side. "Vegeta, it's him! It's Trunks! It's our boy!"

Trunks could only stare. His heart pounded against his chest so hard that it hurt. His mind was whirling and making him dizzy.

It only took a few seconds for his father to come onto the screen. His dark eyes were wide with relief as he looked at Trunks. He sighed heavily, "Trunks...."

"You two are alive?" Trunks managed out with a shaking voice. "The earth - the earth is okay? But the Dragon Balls were ash!"

"The earth is fine, Honey," Bulma assured him with a nod. "Piccolo found out a way to destroy the Black Star Dragon Balls," she hiccuped.

Vegeta wrapped an arm around her and brought her to his side. "We've been looking for you for a long time."

Trunks was in disbelief for several seconds as he stared at his parents. The earth hadn't been destroyed, and his family and everyone else was alive - they had been alive the whole time!

"I thought you were dead," Trunks' voice shook as his eyes burned. "We thought everyone was dead -" he choked on a sob. Feeling breathless, Trunks leaned forward to hold his head in his hands as he cried in relief. All the bitterness and hurt he had felt for the last several months were evaporating.