The Three of Us

23- The Three of Us

Trunks was nauseated as he sat next to the examination table Pan was laid on. For the last several days, he had hardly been able to look at her. Guilt twisted inside of him so tightly that he nearly felt suffocated. He was sorry to her for making her go through so much stress, and he was sorry for the baby in her stomach.

For days, Pan had cried on and off about the situation they were in. She barely ate or talked. She spent most of her time lying in their bed, just staring at the wall in front of her. Trunks had spent most of his time in the basement, working tirelessly on the ship to distract himself from everything that was happening.

The hospital room was freezing, and Pan was shivering, and she blinked up at the ceiling. As they waited for the doctor to come in so they could ask him to -

Trunks couldn't even finish the thought. It was unnerving, but it was what Pan wanted. She had been miserable since finding out she was pregnant, and Trunks would go to the end of the universe to make her happy. Tears were whelped up in Pan's eyes, and Trunks' heart ached at the sight.

"Panna," he reached over and grabbed her hand. "I'm sorry, Panna. I'm so sorry."

Pan blinked quickly, and the tears rolled down her cheek quickly. Her shoulders started to shake, and Trunks felt like someone had ripped his heart out of his chest.

"I'm sorry," he said again, fighting down the lump in his throat as his eyes burned. "It'll be over soon," he whispered tightly, and then, it'll be like a dream that could have been.

Pan's shoulders shook more, and she removed her hand from Trunks' as she covered her face. "I can't," she managed out quietly. "I can't do it, Trunks. Please don't make me," she begged as she shook her head.

Trunks' eyes widened in surprise, "you don't want -?" He couldn't even finish the sentence.

"I want our baby!" Pan cried. "I know it's horrible timing! I know it's scary, but can't we at least try Trunks? This baby is ours! It's our family, and -"

Trunks leaned forward and picked Pan off the chair suddenly. His heart was pounding, and Pan gasped loudly as she grabbed his shoulders in surprise. Her eyes were red and wet from her tears, and all Trunks could feel was relief.

"I want it too," he told her softly. "I want a family with you, Panna. I thought you were scared, and you didn't want it. That's why I suggested this."

"I am scared," Pan admitted, her voice shaking, "but I want this." Her hands looped around his neck gently.

Trunks leaned down, so his forehead rested against hers, "me too."

Their moment was interrupted by the doctor coming in. She was an older alien with dark purple skin, hair, and eyes, which widened in surprise when she saw Trunks holding Pan.

He tightened her grip on her. "We want to keep the baby," Trunks told her at once. Pan nodded in agreement vigorously.

The doctor smiled at them kindly, "I'm happy to hear it. If that's how we're moving forward, then how about a check-up? We can also look at the baby and make sure it's doing fine."

Pan sniffed, "nothing's going to harm the baby, right?"

"No," the doctor promised with a shake of her head. "We're going to do is run some tests, all which are harmless to the baby. It will tell us how far along you are. We'll also be able to listen to its heartbeat. Are you ready?"

Pan looked at Trunks, who felt more nervous than he had ever been. Slowly, he nodded, and he sat Pan back on the examination chair. He sat down beside her and grabbed her hands, and squeezed them to say that he wasn't going anywhere.