8- Uncertainty

It's been a week.

A long week of silence on both ends. Luke totally forgot about the situation, about Michael, but Michael on the other hand was freaking out, nervous that he lost his bestfriend.

He was an overthinker, a boy with big emotions. Unfortunately, too big for his body.

Michael laid in bed, staring at the ceiling in deep thought as he tried to think of ways to apologize to the blonde, or at least, talk to him, see him again.

He really missed Luke's face.

He decided that after thinking for what felt like eternity, he would reward himself with some mango juice. He got up and threw some random sweatshirt over his boxers, staying in such a revealing outfit since it was his home after all.

Michael made his way downstairs, hearing the faint sounds of his mum talking to someone else, the voice so eerily familiar.

He walked down the stairs slowly, trying to stay quiet so he could get something.. anything from the conversation.

His mommy taught him it was rude the eavesdrop, but Michael was far too curious for that word of advice right now.

As soon as the red haired boy took that last step-

"Goodmorning sunshine, you look rough."

Michaels eyes widened slightly as he just looked at the blonde, sitting at the counter having a coffee with his mum.

Talk about weird.

"Good to see you awake honey, Luke just dropped by and I thought we'd have a coffee whilst waiting for you!" Mrs. Clifford responded, smiling sweetly at her baby boy.

Michaels mouth was slightly agape as he just stared for a moment, then looked down at his attire.

His thighs on display, boxers and sweatshirt barely covering his lower region.

Fantastic.

He seemed to be so lost in his own little world that he didn't notice someone walk up to him, pressing two fingers under his chin to close his mouth.

"You'll catch flies princess, now come on, I'll let your mom go so I can make you some breakfast." The blonde mumbled, giving such a soft smile to his younger friend that Michael could positively cry. He wasn't mad at him, he came back for him.

"That's very kind of you honey! Thank you for taking care of Mikey, he's been.. a little off his past week, barely eating and such. Might've gotten the stomach bug or something." Mrs. Clifford said, thinking to herself about the past week she spent with her mopey son.

What she didn't realize was that Michaels cheeks were a blaze, matching his red hair. He was embarrassed, how could he not be with his mum selling him out like that.

"Mommy!" The red haired boy whined, dragging his hands down his face. The woman only chuckled as Luke watched them in an amused manner, taking in the woman's words while also paying closer attention to his little friend.

Michael did seem paler, the bags under his eyes more evident and he almost looked.. thinner? Not exactly, possibly just his imagination.

"Well, I'm off to work. I'll see you two after then?"

"Will do Mrs. C!"

"Bye mommy!"

The woman smiled and pressed a kiss to both of their cheeks before taking her leave, leaving the two friends alone in the kitchen.

"So, what would you like to eat kitty?" The blonde asked, leaning over the counter as he watched Michael sit across from him.

Michael rolled his eyes in annoyance at the name but couldn't help the cheeky smile that made its way onto his pretty face.

Michael really was so god damn pretty.

"Umm.. just cereal Lulu."

"Just? Babe, your mum said you barely ate this past week, which we'll get to in a moment, but I'm gonna need to see you eat baby."

Michael felt his face heat up again, mentally cursing at how easy it was to fluster him.

"I just want cereal for now Lu, please?"

The blonde just watched his younger friend, vivid images from that night a week ago flashing in his mind.

"Cereal it is, kitty!" He said with a soft smile, seeing Michael do a little shimmey in excitement from the corner of his eye. There were so many beautiful things to admire about the boy named Michael Clifford, and his victory dances were one of them.

Once the blonde served the younger boy his cereal, he leans back over the counter and watched him intently. Michael was too busy eating away to notice or even be bothered by such an intense stare.

"Mikey, we need to talk."

Michael simply darted his eyes up in a way to tell him to continue.

The older boy sighed quietly, watching his friend eat messily, milk dripping from his chin.

"The kiss, those words.. it was.. a lot."

Michael hummed and slowed down, listening to the blondes words.

"I don't.. know what I was thinking. Maybe I was just drunk or maybe it was you crying over that stupid girl- whatever the case was, I'm sorry it happened. Or.. I'm sorry it happened the way it did."

Michael set his spoon down, sitting up straighter to look his bestfriend in the eyes. His eyes showed nothing but sincerity, that and something else Michael couldn't quite pinpoint.

Luke was a hard man to read, but Michael also just blatantly sucked at reading expression.

"It's okay Lukey, and I should apologize too.. I-.. I asked you to- uh.. prove it to me, prove you cared. It's so.. silly now in hindsight, you know? Of course you care, you're my bestest friend ever!"

Michael was sporting the softest smile Luke has ever seen, thought his expression wasn't one Luke recognized at first.

Unlike Michael, Luke's great at reading expressions.

It's like Michael was trying to convince himself more than he was trying to apologize to the older boy.

He hummed and nodded, reaching over to take one of Michaels smaller hands in his own, trying to see if he could get rid of such an unsure expression, one that wore hurt as blatant as the forgiveness. 

"We're okay Mikey, things are okay."

"Things are okay Lulu, we're okay."

And the look they exchanged was one Luke would never forget. It was such a relieving moment yet he never felt stressed about this situation to begin with. He felt like he could finally breathe.

The blonde didn't think he was affected that badly.

The way Michaels green eyes just seemed brighter than they were moments prior, and his nose scrunched ever so slightly to go with the smile pressed against his lips.

It was truly such a beautiful sight and the blonde felt himself become mesmerized.

The younger boy truly was a gem, and Luke wanted him all to himself.

He just didn't know in which way.

Luke just ask him out already jeez

anyways, what do we think?

in celebration of the new song and 10 years, you should vote + comment on this chapter!