Big Choices and Big News

“Whoa, Whoa! Hold your fucking horses! You want me to what?”

Now some people would take that dialogue and think that it was an overreaction. It most certainly isn’t though, considering what Max has just asked of me. Without meaning too, I start pacing back and forth. His menacing words finally starting to sink in. The full effect of what was just asked of me, hitting me like a mactruck. 

~.~

The house was dark when we walked in, Jay still guiding me with his hand firmly in mine. Slowly, my eyes start adjusting to the dim lighting. Relief flows through my body as I realize that everything seems to be fine. No broken pictures, vases, or clothes sprawled everywhere. It seemed, well, normal. Well almost too normal, if you ask me. I mean these five boys, they don’t listen. No matter how much you yell and scream, well it just doesn’t compute in their brains. When I told them not to horse around, I really thought that someone would’ve went against what I said. And when one person does it, the rest follow. They’re like a pack of wild dogs, totally untamed and smell just as bad most of the time.

“Jay?”

“Yeah love?”

With a small tug he slows down to a stop. Slowly he turns on his heel to look down at me, my heart speeding up with a glance at his endless blue eyes. Shaky breaths escape as he brings his hand to cup my cheek like he did when we were outside. Effortlessly, he lifts my head making my eyes travel up his face until they land on his yet again. A small smile etches it was across his face, making my heart start to slow and melt. Seeing Jay like this brings me back to the day when we were nothing more than friends. Before I found out his feelings for me, and ultimately making my already difficult life harder than it needs to be.

“Rebbeca?”

“It’s just that… I’m sorry. So, so, sorry Jay; I realize that the way I left it must’ve been hard and we-“I’m cut off by a bone crushing hug. It should’ve been uncomfortable but it wasn’t, it was far from it. The way he arms wrapped around my body, holding me close was something I was aching. His familiar scent filled my nose, as he buried his head into my hair; leaving small kisses to soothe me even more.

“We’ll talk about it later okay? Max is waiting.”

Well then, that didn’t go the way I planned. But nothing really does for me. An apology, that was going to be so heart felt and all in the moment was just kind of smashed down with a foreboding ‘Max is waiting” this can’t be good. Whenever your older brother is waiting for you, it can’t be a good thing. The first thoughts to run through my mind are whether or not Andy called him. Telling Max about my more than amazing manners that I displayed tonight.

We finally enter the living room and everyone except Jess isn’t there, making my palms start to clam up. If Max sent her home, this can’t be good seeing as she’s been here through everything. Especially when Sam and Lauren decided to go back to the states, well she was there when I needed her the most. And for that I’ll be forever grateful. Without her, well I probably wouldn’t be the fun loving girl I am right now!

The silence in the room is foreboding, and all eyes land on us and our linked hands. I don’t make a move to release his, but grip tighter. The feeling of four pairs of eyes burning into the side of my head makes a shudder run through my body.  He returns that pressure and guides me to the center of the room. Taking a few shaky breaths, I attempt to calm my nerves. My body and mind preparing themselves for the onslaught that is about to hit me like an elephant stampede.

“Hey Rebbeca, how was your date?” The calming Irish voice makes a small smile replace the frown that was once there. Shifting ever so slightly to the left and take him in. His hair looks darker than usual, but that’s obviously due to the dim lighting. His dark eyes seem to sparkle in the sparse lighting, making my heart warm slightly at his demeanor.