Chapter 3 - Rivals

Chapter 3 – Rivals

I followed the prefect to a room at the end of the senior hallways and we both went in. It was dark at first but it felt like a big room. I walked on more and felt that each step was like walking through a huge plain of metal. It was dark but at the same time it was a wide open space. The lights opened due to the prefect switching them on and the room was now visible. It was an arena, like a modern coliseum type but smaller. This was probably where sparring classes for seniors were held. I saw the prefect walking down to the center now. We were both at the center of the arena now, staring down each other. He was holding a long broad sword. It was a wide sword with decent length; I figured that it was pretty heavy to wield something like that. He probably had a lot of power if he could carry and swing that thing with one hand. I drew out my katana from my sheath and tossed the sheath aside. I looked at him and saw a cocky grin on his face.

"Fire" he said as he stretched out his hand and sent a fireball flying at me. I evaded the fireball and now started to move in super fast speed. I attempted to slash at his left side but it failed as he parried my attack. He swung his sword and sent me flying towards one of the seats in the arena.

"That all you got?" Resshin had asked me smugly

I got up but not without difficulty. His range of attack was very wide so I had to be creative with my next attempt or else all of my attacks will be futile. He now was moving towards me very fast, but I can still see him. He attempted to swing that sword towards me again, but this time I parried with my katana. I parried several more shots and jumped away from him in order to take a breather. Casting magic would buy me some time right now to recuperate and that's just what I did.

"Thunder" I said as bolts of lightning came from my hand and flew towards Resshin. Casting thunder magic required a high degree of focus because if the caster didn't have any, he would hurt himself in the process. The thunder bolts came dashing towards Resshin but he blocked it with his broad sword. The current was absorbed by that huge blade of his and in time, the bolts have disappeared. He had a smug face after he had made my bolts disappear.

"You were trying to buy some time huh, what's the matter? Can't keep up?" he said.

"Not exactly" I replied to him. "But now I know how to deal with you." I added.

I saw the look on his face; he looked puzzled at what I have just said. He must've figured that I was bluffing when I said that. There was no hesitation on his face as he rushed towards me again, this time I saw him dragging his blade across the floor. He was probably going to do an upward slash to attack me, so I braced myself. I prepared to jump out of the way and counter with an aerial strike from above and to my expectation; he did an upward slash which left him open to a counter attack. I jumped and in an instant I was above him. He was still regaining his composure so I took advantage of the situation.

"Vertical Cross!" I said with conviction as I attacked him with a vertical slash which landed flush on his back as I landed on the ground. He was wounded immediately and he knelt in pain while holding on to his broad sword. Vertical Cross is one of my four signature moves, basically it uses the momentum gained while on air and I convert that momentum into power along with the force of gravity that pulls me on the ground as I slash my opponent. The slash when it lands causes triple the pain than a regular aerial attack and it creates pressure around the body so the one who was hit will be stunned for a while.

"A very basic opponent after all." I said as I held on to my sword. I now went to wear I tossed my sword sheath and I picked it up and sheathed my sword afterwards.

"It…ain't over yet…" Resshin had said to me. I looked at him as he struggled to get up from his kneeling position. The Vertical Cross did a huge number on him as he was bleeding pretty badly from his back. He eventually got up from his position and now held his broad sword firmly. His eyes had the look of a person whose intentions was to kill the enemy standing in front of them. He had focused his energy on his blade until it was shining a bright yellow color.