Chapter 25

You expect paranoia. Your parents decided they'd be spending the week. You'd manage to negotiate that time. If it were up to your dad he would move to New York.

When the rest of the team returned, they were informed of everything. Tony forced you to get a scan from F.R.I.D.A.Y. He wasn't taking any more chances, especially with your life. Steve bombarded you with questions, most of the ones you answered earlier. It was only ten hours that you were in that trance, but it felt like at least two weeks.

You remembered everything. Alice, your work. Loki. or Tom in that case.

Even in a coma you still latched onto him.

It's crazy how much he affected your life now.

A few hours of constant tests and assurances, you're finally seated on the bed in your quarters. The picture in your hand makes you smile. It's one of the many you'd taken with Alice. This particular one was at an amusement park. The strip of images with silly faces. You wipe the tears that gather as you replay that particular day, laughing softly.

"(Y/N)." 

Loki's voice echoes from the other side of the door. You flick your wrist, and it swings open. He enters slowly.

"Did I catch you at a bad time?"

"No, you're good." He closes the door.

"How are you feeling?"

"Great, considering all that happened. Honestly, I'm a little surprised you're still talking to me after that freak show."

"I suppose I should charge you for my assistance."

"Don't push it." 

He grins, taking a seat right next to you on the bed. His eyes move to the picture in your hand. He recognizes the face.

"Alice, who was she?"

Your grip tightens.

"She was the first friend I made when I came to New York. I was still getting settled, and having a hard time adjusting. In one of the reports I made a mistake and the supervisor at the time was a total tool. Everyone thought so, but no one stood up to him. Alice did, and he fired us both."

Loki understands now. That reality you wanted was just things or people you wanted, but the ones you loved.

"I thought she would hate me, but she made a joke saying she'd been trying to quit for months. The next week we got a call from HR. I'm not sure what happened but the entire department signed a petition to get rid of him.. Because Alice stood up for me, I guess it gave them a little courage to stand up for themselves. We were reinstated, and promoted. That was eight years ago. We've been best friends ever since."

You appear to struggle to say the next words.

"She died in the tower right next to me. Her torso was stuck under a boulder. I-I couldn't move it I just.." you wipe your face.

"I couldn't save her." you place the image down on the desk behind you.

Another life. He'd taken another life from you. That world you created was a representation of what you'd long for. A friend you cared for that you'd never see again because of him.

"I'm sorry." No matter how many times he said that, it would never be enough. Nothing he could do would ever make up for it.

"I forgive you Loki."

It takes him a moment to process your words. He nearly thinks he's imagined it.

"I forgive you."

He has to know, needs to hear it. You know he's been carrying a weight far greater than your own. He understands now that his actions came with consequences. He's not the self centered prince you met when you first came. Your hand slides down, and you take his own, palm closing. Loki looks down at your joined hands, then back up at you.

"I said a few things when we were..well back in that little mind trap and I.." 

Your hold tightens just a little. 

"What I'm trying to say is..well Loki I.." 

You're a mess with words now. He doesn't respond, just leans in and you gasp softly. His lips press gently to your own, free hand sliding behind your neck. He pulls you closer and you comply. 

With every gentle brush of his lips, you swore you'd lose yourself. Loki's fingers slide into your hair, and you moan. Every move he makes is like a bolt that rushes through your body. The kiss continues, slow, sensual. Intimate. Loki's free hand glides over your back, up your spine. You arch into him and his hand fists into your hair with an appreciative moan of his own.

It isn't until you finally pull away that you realize you're now on your back, pressed into the bed. Loki is above, letting out some soft labored breaths. 

"I believe we both know what we want." 

You give a little nod, and he smiles, leaning back in and claiming your lips.