Chapter 8

"My house isn't that far from here, we can walk. Do me a favour, pat down on the use of magic. I don't want to raise any flags. You're still pretty much earning your stripes. Let's stay as lowkey as possible."

"It may be difficult. Someone like me it's a challenge to remain mundane like the rest of these foolish midgardians. "

"You do realize I'm a midgardian right?"

Dropping your stuff off, you decided to head over immediately, not before laying ground rules.

"You're entertaining at least."

"Gee thank you, flatter me why don't you."

Back to being an asshole it would seem. You expect nothing less.

"Don't worry, I won't start any wars. I promise."

"A promise from the god of lies. "

"It's the god of mischief."

"Same thing."

You stop your little back and forth battle because of an older woman who walks by. "Oh, you two are such an adorable couple. My Jeff and I argued the same when in our youth. " She smiles sweetly, walking off with a wave. Loki sends a little grin and you huff, cheeks tinting red. Walking faster, you go over all the reasons it would be a mistake to even entertain the thought.

"She's delusional if she thinks I'd ever date this douchebag. Crazy! "

Loki just trails at the back of you.

"How cute, she's embarrassed. "

Teasing you was becoming his new favorite pastime. Loki follows behind taking in all your hometown has to offer. Earth always felt so insignificant to him. Asgard was a grand place so in his eyes not many dimensions could hold a candle to his home. His gaze shifts to you.

"Maybe it isn't the place, but the people that inhabit it."

The words were something his mother said to him. Possibly when he was just a boy.

"Loki, it's the people that you care for, they are what gives our lives meaning. "

"What gives your life meaning mother?"

"Well, there's your stubborn father, your ambitious brother. And the most handsome young man in my life. Do you know who that is?" He shook his head.

"It's you." She smiled, and he giggled as she placed a kiss on his head.

"It's a secret, don't tell your brother, he might get jealous." She sends a little wink and he nods with a wide grin.

"I won't."

"Loki, hey Loki you alright?"

He was just standing there staring at the ground, when you reach out, he grabs your hand, almost like a reflex. Once he realizes, he lets go. "Sorry," That's all he says. No explanation for zoning out. You decide against asking. Loki is a mystery sometimes. There are parts of his life you may never truly know about, and you're not about to start drilling him on his issues when you have so many of your own. Quite the pair you were. In a lot of ways you were the same. You're both a bit broken.

"We're here." The small blue house with the white picket fence. And they say the american dream wasn't real.

They were right.

The secrets of a life you thought you knew so well. Walking up to the porch, you gesture to Loki, stopping him before you knock at the door.

"I'll do the talking. Don't say anything about my life now and please don't bring up New York. "