Part 21: A new morning

"Loki, wake up!", Steve's voice calls from outside the room. I hear an indistinct knock on the door, then Steve's steps depart.
I groan and feel how warm and tight the blanket is wrapped around me.
"Come on!", says Loki joyfully and already stands up. "A new day full of training awaits us!"
Why is he so happy so early in the morning?
"Just five more minutes ...", I grumble and snuggle deeper into the covers. I slowly fall asleep again while Loki makes himself ready.
"Oh but (y/n), we have so much to do today. And breakfast is soon. I will finally use my magic again!"
I ignore him and welcome the soft comforting feeling of my returning sleep.
Suddenly someone wraps their hand around my ankle and yanks me out of the bed.
"Loki!", I screech and dangle in the air with my head close to the carpet, my hair blocking my view. "What are you doing?!"
He laughs and shakes me a little. "Waking you up!"
"Oh my gods let me down!"
Loki puts his free hand to his chin and pretends to think. "Hm, should I?"
"Yes!"
"Like this?" He drops me a few centimeters just to catch me at my ankle again.
"NO! Stop it! I promise to stand up just lay me down softly please!"
He chuckles. "Are you sure?"
"Yes. I am warning you, let me down!"
"Oh, if you are already warning me ..."
For a second I think he would drop me again, but then he carefully turns me around in the air, grabs me by my waist and softly sets me down on my feet.
"Thank you", I grumble, not being able to be angry for long while looking into his smiling face.
"See, and now you are already standing. I spared you the getting up. I did you a favor."
"How gracious of you."
"I knew you would appreciate it."
We stand there for another second, his arm wrapped around my waist, then he lets go to grab his hairbrush, finishing his look. I leave and go to my room to change quickly and come back just in time to go to the kitchen with him.
When we arrive in front of the door, we hear hissing voices from inside.
"... just like I told you", says Tony.
"Yes we know", Natasha answers annoyedly.
"I am just making sure that everybody here is as friendly as - oh hi Loki!"
Loki has opened the door and the other Avengers all look at us, suddenly silent.
"Good morning!", says Tony and smiles. "Sit down, you two."
Loki raises his eyebrows. "Is ... something wrong?"
"No, not at all", responds Clint. "Tony is just a bit jumpy, that's it."
Tony throws him an angry look, then tries to smile at us and eventually minds his honey toast.
Natasha exchanges a look with us, shakes her head and rolls her eyes, meaning it is nothing to worry about.
Loki's glance meets mine, I shrug and we sit down at the table.
I get myself a piece of bread and spread butter over it.
When I am finished, Loki asks: "Can I get the butter, please?"
Tony and Bruce both reach for the butter so quickly that their hands collide and the butter falls off the table. Tony scowls at Bruce and Bruce tries to catch the butter. He fails, the butter meets the floor and leaves Bruce with greasy fingers.
Loki puts his knife down. "Okay, now somebody has to explain -"
"They wanted to make you feel more welcome to make sure something like the last occasions don't happen again and are now overdoing it", says Natasha, not stopping to cut a slice off the bread. Then she grabs her knife and notices there is no butter on the table anymore. "Seriously, boys", she says.
Loki transformes into his Lady Loki form. "Yeah, boys", she jokes.
We laugh. The tension is eased and Loki transforms back into his male form while Bruce walks off to throw the butter away, clean his hands and get a new one.
The remaining breakfast goes by without more incidences, and we all go to the training after Tony reminds us that he will call us on one point throughout the day to discuss the information on the alien USB stick.
When I arrive with Loki at Gym 2, he is in a very good mood, humming to himself with skippy steps. I like that he is happy, but that means he will be more motivated at training. Which makes it harder to fight him.
Nevertheless, when I look at Loki facing me, standing in the gym, I become happy too. So many things have happened since the last time we stood here, and now we can train again! I grin and let my yellow magic sparks appear.
"Ready to lose, Mischief?"
"Oh", Loki chuckles and conjures his green magic, flowing in an impressive circle around him. "I just wanted to ask you that." He gets into fighter position too. "But I figured that would be too lame and stereotypical."
"Ha", I say as we begin to circle each other. "Good comeback, as always. But talking will not make you win."
Loki smirks and his magic flickers around him, waiting for the right moment to pounce. "Brave words from someone who already struggles with a little firework."
"Who knows, maybe I have grown magic powers beyond your understanding the last few days?", I grin.
"Hm", Loki says and his eyes shimmer with amusement. "I doubt that." And with that, he attacks.
His magic aims at my feet with a woosh and I manage to counter it with my net. That gives him time to get closer to me, and I throw a magic ball at his chest that he dodges. His two daggers appear and I create more magic balls, all missing him barely. I have to go backwards and remind myself to learn more about infighting. As I avoid the daggers (I know they are illusions anyway), I stumble and fall - right into his arms. Loki uses that to pin me down on the ground.
"I am sure you will make me lose soon, right?", he murmurs into my ear.
I squeak and try to wriggle out of his grip. I lie flat on my belly, just my arms are both pressed on my back by Loki with his body weight. He chuckles and drums his fingers on my sides. I realise it's one of the fighting techniques Natasha used against Thor. Absolutely great.
I struggle more, then I let out an exhausted sigh and lay my head on the ground.
"What, already admitting you lost?", grins Loki.
"Uh ... wait ..."
He snickers. "I am waiting. Don't be shy."
I close my eyes and it takes me a moment to concentrate. I never conjured magic when my hands were tied. But I try to feel the sparks and it works. In a millisecond Loki realizes what I am doing, but it is too late: The sparks push him up with such a force that he hits the ceiling and I roll away under him.
Loki meets the ceiling with an 'ugh' and falls down, almost landing on his knees. He throws back his hair and smirks. "Well that was a start."
I wink at him.
He snickers at that and opens his arms in his signature pose. "Now let's talk about your new powers."