Part 2: First training

Loud scraping follows as everybody pushes their chair back. Natasha smiles and leaves the room together with Clint. Thor and Bruce follow and Steve waits for Tony, I walk up to the door but stop when I notice that Loki argues with Tony again.
"But can't I -", he begins.
"No", hisses Tony. He speaks a bit more quiet than usual, but I can still hear him. "Listen, if you want to prove that you are a real Avenger you go and train with her!"
Loki seems to be taken aback. "You said I am a real Avenger."
Tony takes his glass again and puts a hand on Loki's shoulder. "Yes, I know that and you know that and I didn't want to say that we mistrust you. You know how I meant what I said. Just do your job. Take her and teach her some magic."
Loki doesn't look satisfied. "Fine", he says in a dry way. Then he leaves the room and I follow.
I see how he rubs his shoulder in the place where Tony's hand was, as if it made him dirty. I try to keep up with his pace and look at him worriedly.
"They aren't really accepting you, right?", I ask quietly.
Loki throws me an angry look. After a small pause, he says: "It's none of your business, mortal."
I don't give in. "I am sorry, it must be hurtful. I think they make a huge mistake when they underestimate you. I have heard your story and have seen some of your magic on tv. Honestly, it looks great, I love the green colour and the daggers and everything!"
Loki throws me another annoyed look. "Another compliment and I will shut you up myself."
I screw up my eyes a little bit and smile lightly. "You smirked at the compliment. You liked it."
Loki rolls his eyes. "Absolutely not."
If I am good at something, then I am good at guessing peoples emotions. But I am smart enough to not pressure him and hide my smile.
Just as I want to ask Loki where we will train, he opens a door with the label 'Gym 2'. We enter a big room with gym mats in a light olive-coloured tone at the ground and a broad window front stretching over the left wall. The other walls and the ceiling are padded with white gym mats, and there are traces from old training fights on them. New excitement rushes through me. I can see a black burn looking like a lightning to my right and a faded magical symbol on the back wall.
"Ui!", I say and hop into the room. I will learn magic! From Loki himself!
I look around and throw a glance at the view over New York. Will it look like his? Maybe it will turn green. Or can I choose the colour?
A feeling in my gut says that it will stay yellow. But nevermind, I am happy about every colour my magic will have. I turn around to face Loki who has shut the door and walks into the room slowly. "It looks amazing!"
Loki just looks at me and sighs. I can see that his mind is still at the conversation of him and Tony, but he seems to push that topic away. "Now, to start the lesson. This gym is specifically for magical training. You aren't able to bust the walls or do any harm to the windows."
"And to you?", I interrupt him. The image of the people getting patched up from my latest accident comes to my mind.
Loki smirks disdainfully. "I will be able to handle you."
I nod nervously.
"First, I want to have an example of your powers", Loki continues. "Show them to me."
I look down at my hands. "I don't know how. They come out accidentally."
"You have triggers. Every magician has them."
My glance meets his. "What is yours?"
"Not relevant for now", Loki snaps. He takes a deep breath and mumbles something about annoying mortals. I sigh and think something similiar about annoying gods. "You have to think of something that is always accompanying your powers. A constant", he says softer.
I think intently. After a while in which Loki watches me in silence, my face lights up. "I think I might have ... it is always, like, relaxation, or no ... relieve, or - happiness, that's it! My powers are linked to happiness!"
Loki rolls his eyes with a sly smirk. "Of course they are. What else could it be with you."
I smile back, but his constant switching between hating me and finding me funny is a little trying.
"Now try to get them out", he says. "Concentrate on them. Feel them. I suppose you feel them in your fingertips?"
I nod.
"Then get them out. As I said, I will be able to handle them. The only person in danger here is you."
This stupid mischievous smile again. "Wouldn't hurt you to smile honestly sometimes", I mumble. Then I concentrate on my powers as he said. I try to provoke happy feelings, let them flood me. And there it is, a little tingle in my fingertips! I get so excited that it instantly gets more. Soon, sparks are flying around my hands. "You see that?", I ask happily.
"I am not blind, (y/n)."
That bit of teasing is enough to give my powers a direction and the magic suddenly flows out of my hands. In a big yellow burst, it shoots like a spurt out of a garden hose and hits Loki in the chest. He gets thrown over and after a double backflip he crashes into the wall behind him.
The sparks have stopped and I put my hands over my mouth. "Oh my god."
Loki looks up at me with a murderous expression in his eyes.