[ Chapter 31 ]

The next few days were only partially chaotic as both Rebecca and Colby had to finish their other three exams. Both of them knew these ones were going to be easy compared to their first, so they weren't worried.

Rebecca had found out that Ashley was the person calling her the morning she stayed over at Colby's. She had called about eighteen times, so Rebecca was a little worried something had happened until Ashley told her she just wanted to schedule a hangout day.

The two met at the diner, at the end of the week. Even though Rebecca had a shift, it was coming to its end, so she saved her break until Ashley got there.

When Rebecca finally sat down in the booth Ashley was at, she noticed Ashley staring at her skeptically. "What?"

"Nothing." Ashley smiled, and they began to chat.

The more and more they talked, the more Ashley started noticing differences in Rebecca's behaviour. "When was the last time we got together?"

"Uh, maybe like two-three months ago? Give or take." Rebecca thought back to their hangout in the library.

Ashley nodded, "So a lot of things have changed since then?"

"What do you mean?" Rebecca looked at her in confusion.

"Well, you just seem different... a good different." Ashley smiled, "Happier."

Rebecca shook her head, but Ashley continued, "That guy you've mentioned, Colby. He's good for you."

"How would you know that?" Rebecca laughed, not used to hearing Ashley care so much about something that didn't involve her.

"It's the first time in years that I've seen you live a life outside of school and work." Ashley took a sip of her drink. "You like him, a lot."

"It's only been a few months." Rebecca grew nervous, not knowing why.

"Doesn't matter when you're spending almost all of your free time with him every day." Ashley replied easily, watching Rebecca shift uneasily.

Rebecca looked at the clock, noticing her shift was almost over. "You haven't even seen us interact."

"I don't need to." Ashley shrugged, "It's okay, I think this is good for you."

Rebecca laughed, "It's only to help each other study."

Ashley raised an eyebrow, "Do you really think either of you still needs the help?"

Rebecca struggled to find a response, and before she could, someone's hand was on her shoulder. "Hey, ladies."

"Colby, right?" Ashley questioned as she and Rebecca stood up.

"That would be me." He smiled politely with a nod, "And you're Ashley?"

She nodded contently, and Rebecca felt Colby's hand make its way to the small of her back. "Do you also work here?"

"Oh God, no." Ashley laughed, "I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those aprons."

Rebecca frowned jokingly, as Ashley continued to laugh. Colby leaned next to her ear, "I think you look sexy in your apron."

"Careful Lopez, to someone unknowing that might sound like a housewife stereotype." She whispered back promptly, as she subtly nudged his side with her elbow, while Ashley collected herself.

He smirked before standing normally again, "Well, I hate to interrupt, but I have to steal Rebecca from you."

Ashley smiled knowingly, "Football game, right?"

Colby nodded, and the two said their goodbyes to Ashley, before heading out. Holly and Riley were going to have a movie night together, so only Rebecca would be accompanying Colby this time.

He got his things, and they drove over to the school, and when they reached the stands, they stopped walking. "How about a kiss for good luck?"

"You don't need luck." She smirked, noticing Jonathan and Joseph making their way towards them. "And no, me being Irish doesn't make everything I do extra lucky."

She didn't know how comfortable he was with them knowing too much, so she didn't want to put him in a difficult situation. "Plus, your teammates are coming."

She opted to give him a hug, and he gladly accepted it. "Go kick some ass."

She smiled before heading up a few rows to get a good view. The game started, and Rebecca found herself enthralled watching Colby play. She didn't have Riley's extra warmth this time, so the chill was getting to her but overall, she was having a blast.

Rebecca knew football was a very taxing and often aggressive sport, so she knew seeing people get hit and knocked down was a regular occurrence.

But when Colby was tackled the sound of a large crash of helmets colliding into one another filled the air. Rebecca immediately stood up as her stomach dropped when the other guy got up, and Colby stayed on the ground.

When she saw his teammates circling him and coaches yelling while scrambling around, her breathing escalated as she rushed off of the stands and ran onto the field.

Rebecca had to push her way towards him as people tried to escort her off the field, and she had to slip in between players and coaches.

When she broke through the final padded players, slipping past both Joseph and Jonathan, there he was.

His eyes were glossed over as he stared up into the sky. His helmet had flown off during the collision, and his nose along with his lip was bleeding.

"Oh my God." Rebecca bent down next to him, with shaking hands, barely touching him as she cupped both of his cheeks. "Colby?"

His eyes slowly looked over at her, and the second they connected with hers, she knew he was out of it. "Hey, Quin."

The yells and noises around them instantly seemed to disappear as Rebecca heard him speak. His voice was strained and merely a whisper, and a tear slipped down her cheek.

Rebecca felt Colby's hand jerkily slide up her arm to grab her hand and squeeze it softly. The corner of his lips twitched ever so slightly into a smile before it faded, his eyes closed, and his hand went limp.