Kabanata 14

THE entire ride was not as comfortable as Solea had imagined it should be. The seat was stiff and narrow which made her shift a lot. What does she expect anyway?

Ipinampalubag-loob na lamang ni Solea ang luntiang tanawin nang mga palayan, gayundin ang sariwang simoy nang hangin na bagamat malakas ang hampas sa kanyang mukha ay may dulot naman na kumportableng lamig. Iyon lamang ay panaka-naka niyang nalalanghap ang usok na ibinubuga ng tren.

Talk about fresh with a tinge of smoke.

This is not my time and I should not compare the present and the past.

Solea reverted her sight back to enjoying the view outside to hush the thoughts in her ever busy mind.

Napalingon siya kay Regina nang maramdaman ang pagsandal sa kanyang balikat. The former fell asleep. Solea carefully secured Regina's head on her shoulder with her hand on the former's cheek. Maingat na inayos rin niya ang pagkakasandal sa upuan upang maging kumportable ang panganay na dela Rama.

Hindi na nasundan pa ang pag-uusap na namagitan sa pagitan ni Solea at Regina. Solea chose to keep her silence and Regina did not push through on whatever she wanted to tell her, or rather, Soledad. Marahil ay minabuti na lamang ni Regina na huwag nang ungkatin pa ang paksa na iyon sa lugar kung saan maraming makakarinig sa kanila.

She was well aware of the looks some of the passengers were pointing at her as she trailed around their town's train station earlier. Same goes when she was sitting next to the window while waiting for the passengers to get on the train. Ipinagsawalang-bahala na lamang niya iyon kanina. Marahil ay karaniwan nang nararanasan iyon ni Soledad o nang iba pang mga miyembro nang kilalang mga angkan sa kanilang bayan.

Solea shifted her sight back to the view outside the window.

Perhaps, Regina was right, or was not as well.

What if Soledad really love that guy that she was willing to bend all the moral rules of her time just to be with him? Kailan ba naging masama ang magmahal? Dahil ba may iba nang nakatakda sa lalaking iyon? Na ang dalawa ay hindi nararapat sa isa't isa dahil lamang may masasaktan. Na ang mapanghusgang lipunan ay hindi maiintindihan kailanman ang bugso nang damdamin nang dalawang taong nagmamahalan.

Why was morality important anyway? Ano ba ang pinaghuhugutan ng mga tao upang sumunod na lamang sa dapat at iwasan ang hindi?

Surely, it was not just Soledad who was going against the norm. Perhaps, there were also someone out there fighting for what they believe and feel in this ever judgmental society.

Solea had this troubling feeling in her chest she did not know why and how it affect her to make her somewhat feel a tinge of hurt. Wala naman siyang anuman na koneksiyon sa mga ito para makaramdam ng ganoon. Must it be because of the stupid drama Soledad and Noe were into. Naaawa siya sa dalawa?

Is this a real time tale of once upon a time with no happy ending for the main leads?

"Ha!" Solea could not help but let out a sigh that even she could not hear clearly because of the wind buzzing on her ears.

Love makes everything simple and yet complicated at the same time.

If only...

TAPIK sa kanyang pisngi ang gumising kay Solea.

I fell asleep.

Napalingon siya sa katabing si Regina na siyang tumapik sa kanyang pisngi. She was in awe how Regina still look regal and compose while her on the other hand felt a slight sting on her neck for leaning on her side for too long. She felt beaten as well.