sixteen

º º º º º º º

“Okay…” His fingers played with mine as we lay on the hot ground, the lack of sunshine certainly didn’t make it any cooler, if anything, it was warmer. Much, much warmer.

“Okay what?”

“I have a question.”

“Uh-oh…” 

“Cardiff…”

“What about Cardiff?”

“Can you please tell me who that one person was?”

“What?”

“The one person you love. Remember?” He was silent and I knew he knew what I was talking about.

“Hallie…”

“Harry.” I rolled over onto my stomach and traced my fingers down his belly. “Come on…we’re supposed to tell each other everything.”

“I don’t…it just isn’t the time, love.”

“Why?” Groaning, he leaned up on his elbows and then one hand came and he tucked my wet hair behind my ear.

“This…we’re at this good place right now, like, I don’t want to do anything to jeopardize that. Don’t want to jeopardize you.”

“Would I be angry if you told me?”

“I’d hope not…”

“So it isn’t…it’s not Nadine or anyone like that…”

“God no.” He scowled, shaking his head. “You know…you know who it is. Just, like, don’t want to say it yet. Not yet.”

“What are we doing though? What is this?” His eyes searched my face.

“What do you want it to be?”

“I think you have an idea…like, I’ve wanted this—whatever it is—for awhile, you know? I want us. That’s the one thing I know, okay?” I nodded and let him wrap his large hand around mine. 

“I want us too, and this, whatever it is.” His boyish smile appeared and it warmed my heart, kind of. “I don’t want this public though. You’re still on tour and me…” I trailed off, not sure whether I wanted to go here or not. No secrets though, so I went on. “I’ve actually been working on something…”

“What’s that then?”

“A screenplay…”

“Hallie! Are you—how far along?”

“Just a few scenes but I’ve got a meeting with Stephen Elliot in a few weeks, he likes the concept so maybe…dunno. Maybe something will happen.”

“What’s it about?”

“I don’t really—can I wait a bit before telling you? I don’t want to jinx it.” He nodded, eyes brightening still.

“This is just…this is great! I’m so proud of you, doll.”

“Thanks…I’m excited, I think.”

“What do you mean you think?”

“I just don’t wanna get my hopes up, I mean, there’s a possibility nothing will happen with it, but it’s still fun. I’ve wanted to do this for a while and even if it doesn’t go anywhere, it’s still some experience, ya know?”

“Exactly. Can I have a part in it?” He wiggled his eyebrows and I laughed, crossing my arms over his chest.

“We’ll see.”