føur

ø ø ø ø ø

Hallie.

“Has he texted you yet?” I shook my head, trying not to move my hands too much. My phone sat there, message-less. “He will, babe. He was a looker, yeah?”

“Yeah. Fittest boy I’ve seen—”

“You are American. I am going to smack Harry for rubbing off on you.” I laughed as Marianne snapped her foot away from the man trying to pumice her heels. 

“He was sexy. Sexiest man I’ve seen in a very long time.”

“Aside from you’re bestie.”

“Harry is not sexy. Harry is…adorable. Harry is also a massive dweeb so…”

“Well, I think he’s gorgeous. Flawless even.” I snorted.

“Should’ve seen the zit on his forehead last week. Just a bit smaller than Pluto, it was.”

“You’re an awful girl.”

“S’true.” I glanced down at my school bus yellow nails. “He wouldn’t let me squeeze it either”

“You’re awful and disgusting.” She shook her head. “Is Nadine back?”

“Yeah. She got back last night, so they’ll be shacking up together for the next six years.”

“Ugh.”

“I know.” My thoughts fell back to the boy from the beach. The tall, bronze god, Mar and I had run into. Adam. I’d been waiting three days for the kid to text me. Three. Days. 

“You should text him.”

“Who? Harry?”

“No, Adam! You have his number, don’t you?”

“Yes, but—”

“But nothing. Text him. Right now. Text him, Hal.” I chewed on my lip as I thought this through. I really didn’t have anything to lose.

“My nails are wet, Marianne.” The manicurist shook his head enthusiastically.

“No, you fine! You fine! Text boy!” Giggling I unlocked my phone and typed his contact in. 

“What should I say?”

“Tell ‘im he’s hot and that he should text you back. And take you out.”

“Not going to say that.”

“Use that pick up line Harry wrote on the chalk wall. The library card one.” I laughed just thinking about it. The idiot.

HM: Good thing I brought my library card, because I’m checkin’ you out.

His response was almost instantaneous.

AR: You know…I was trying to play it cool…that whole three day rule and you just ruined it.

AR: But I will say…I’m very glad you did.

AR: And that was smooth ;)

HM: You know, I try. I was beginning to think you’d forgotten who I was…

AR: Impossible.

AR: You were probably the best thing that happened to me all week. That and the three dollars I won from a lottery ticket. #highlights

I was laughing and Marianne was glaring because I had yet to share any of this with her.

HM: So…are you going to ask me out or will I have to do that as well?

AR: It’s not easy maintaining a cool and collected front when you keep beating me to the chase. I’m working up to it here.

HM: Take your time :)

AR: Well, you already ruined it. SO. You free tonight?

HM: Have to check my schedule.

“He asked me if I’m free tonight.” Her eyes bulged and mine moved back to my screen. “What should I say?”

“That you’re free?” 

AR: How’s it looking?

HM: Think I can clear up an hour or so…

AR: Oh thank god. Seven good? The Viper Room?

HM: Interesting choice…

AR: To be honest with you…a buddy of mine is playing there tonight. Should be a good time?

HM: Sounds awesome. I’ll meet you there then? 

AR: Is that okay? I can pick you up?

HM: No, no…you could be a serial killer. Can’t have you knowing where I live. Not yet ;)

AR: Don’t worry…that’s not one of my frequent hobbies. Third after scrapbooking and balloon animals.

HM: Oh good. What a catch.

AR: Only the best :) 

AR: Joking, of course. But I’ve gotta go…see you tonight?

HM: Looking forward to it :)

“Well???” Marianne was clearly flipping a bit. The manicurist finished the final top coat and then moved me and my belongings over to the drying bar.

“We’re going to The Viper Room.”

“Oh jesus, did you decide that?”

“No, he did. His friend is playing there tonight.”

“Well, you both are clearly made for each other. That place is your second home.”

“I know.” I smiled brightly just thinking about it. “Wanna see if that man-toy of yours wants to come? Make it a double?”

“No.”

“Please? I’m not ready for a one-on-one!”

“Oh my god…fine! Fine, yes. We’ll go with you.” 

“Yay! Thanks baby.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I was looking forward to this. I liked Brayden. I liked him for Marianne. He was, so far, good to her. Plus the three of us had fun together, we got along. It was certainly easing to think about. I felt more comfortable going into it.