øne

ø ø ø ø ø 

“Will you miss me?”

“Probably not, no.” I smiled cheekily at my blonde girlfriend as she opened up the front door of my Los Angeles home.

“Hmm…well I’m sure you’ll miss me by tonight.”

“You’re right…probably will, yeah.” Her lips met mine in a chaste kiss. 

“I’ll miss you very much.”

“Will you now?”

“Yes.” I pulled her in, hugging her and enjoying the scent of her 

“Miss you too.” She stepped outside, carry-on in hand. “Call me when you land?”

“Of course, love.” After another kiss, she was walking towards the black SUV. I closed the door once the car was out of sight and sauntered back to my room. I checked my phone’s clock. 9:06. I smiled to myself, the thought of popping in on Hallie a few hours early, causing a chuckle to sound from my throat. Instead of showering, which I probably should have done, I pulled on a pair of blue skinnies and an old white t-shirt before fishing my brown straight wig out of my closet. I looked absolutely ridiculous, especially after the faux goatee-stache was stuck around my lips. But I still liked it. And the thought of Hallie wearing her obnoxious wig and butt-lifting jeans only had me laughing harder. A right bunch of idiots, we were. 

The distance between my Beverly Crest home and her West Hollywood apartment was only seven miles, but with the morning traffic, it took a good twenty-five minutes. I didn’t mind though, it’s not like I was running late. Almost three hours early, actually. I always enjoyed these days. No band stuff, no prior obligations. Just me and Hallie…an easygoing, carefree day. We tried to get together as much as possible, especially when I wasn’t on tour or out of the country. Having a female as one of your best mates was not easy, not in any way. It’d be a bit better if I wasn’t me and she wasn’t herself, but we were who we are, nothing could be done about that. 

The large Victorian building stood out immensely on the otherwise modernized street, and as I pulled in the back lot and caught sight of her impeccable 1963 Mercury Comet convertible, I smiled. The red leather interior and shiny white exterior screamed Hallie Mantegna. It was all very her. That’s one of the reasons why we got on so well. Fantastic taste in classic vehicles. Among many other things. Our love of old rock ’n’ roll, the Stones and banana frozen yoghurt also adding into the mix. Our friendship always being strictly platonic, of course. 

I locked my car and meandered into the building’s locked courtyard. Her glossy black front door, being front and center, was surrounded by pots of plants and a cute little iron patio table sat nicely amongst it all. Instead of knocking, I slid my key into the lock and walked in, heading straight for the fridge. She always filled it with random shit and I quite liked perusing through, taking my pick of whatever. After removing a peach, I took a bite and then grabbed a piece of chalk, preparing to write on the chalk wall directly to the fridge’s left. Good thing I brought my library card, because I’m checkin’ you out. I chuckled to myself as another bite was taken off the juicy fruit. Good one, Harry. Footsteps were heard behind me and I turned around, expecting to see her. Instead, I came face to face with a half naked man. “She’s in the shower.” Was all he said. 

“Want me to tell her you left?”

“Sure.” Before I could even take another bite of my peach, he was dressing himself and walking out of the apartment. A few minutes later, she came out, a terrycloth robe adorning her thin body.

“It’s not twelve yet, idiot.” I hoisted myself up on the countertop as she fished through the fridge. 

“Your friend left.”