twø

ø ø ø ø ø

It had been a successful day so far. All bags had been carefully locked away in Joni’s trunk and I walked with Hallie lazily hoisted up on my back. I carried her easily down Main Street, her arms draped around my neck. Occasionally she’d think it was funny to tighten them, momentarily asphyxiating me, but then she’d laugh and it would in turn, cause me to laugh, henceforth easing my annoyance. It was an amazing thing, being able to walk around without being stopped or followed…this…this was why I loved spending time with her. Nadine always wanted to be out and about. Constantly under the watchful eye of the entire fücking world. Hal and I liked doing things and not being ridiculed. I hated when people would just automatically assume I was shagging her. She got hate for being my friend and that angered me to a ridiculous level. 

“So…” She began, her chin resting against my shoulder, making it so that our cheeks were smushed together.

“So.”

“Plans for tonight?”

“Was hopin’ to spend the night in with you.”

“Oh…”

“Oh what?”

“I had plans.” I rolled my eyes.

“With who?”

“Marianne. We’re going out.”

“Glad you’re just now telling me this.”

“Sorry, you sensitive little man.”

“You go out every weekend.”

“And?”

“And, maybe one night you could stay in with me? We never proper hang out anymore.”

“We just spent an entire day together, first. Second, we thrifted last weekend.”

“You left halfway through the day because some prick wanted to fück you, so you ditched me. Second, you just never make time for me so I wanted to spend this week with you.”

You never make time for me. It’s always Nadine this, Nadine that. Can’t come cause Nadine.”

“That’s not true and you know it.”

“Whatever.” She said whatever when she knew she was wrong. “The only reason you want to hang out with me now is because she’s gone out of town.”

“Again…not true.” She hopped off and adjusted her wig. 

“Yes, true.”

“You’re being immature.”

“I’m not, Harry.”

“You are though, Hal.” 

“You’re the one who’s having a little hissy fit.” She was laughing but my opinion—my feelings—weren’t wrong. 

“I’m not, I just…we never get to spend much time together just like sittin’ around. Wanted to do that this weekend.”

“Well, maybe we’ll do that tomorrow.”

“We could do it tomorrow and we could do it tonight, but no. You can’t seem to go a night without parties and booze and stupid blokes who just want to get into your pants.”

“Alright then.”

“Come on, Hal, you know that’s how it’s been. You’ve been a bit crazy lately.”

“Have not!”

“Mm…you have, love.”

“Okay…say—think what you will. I like my life right now, Har. I don’t feel like changing it. I’m not doing drugs. I’m not doing anything wrong, so leave me alone, ya prick.” There was humor in her tone. It was very clear, and yes, just because I didn’t approve of it didn’t mean she was making poor decisions. That was just it, I didn’t like it. Was it terrible that I thought my best friend deserved the best? 

“Just want you to be safe, yeah? Don’t want anyone treatin’ you bad.” She laced her arm through mine and hip bumped me. 

“Thanks, buddy.” I could only nod. Any other response probably would have just started the whole ball rolling once again.

Sooooo. basically....writing about Downtown Ventura and the thrift shops and Busy Bee makes me really sad, especially considering practically my entire wardrobe was purchased there. I'm hopefully moving back to Santa Barbara...soon. Keep your fingers crossed for me .x

Hope the chapter was okay!. Sorry it was short!