Chapter Eight

Mia's POV

It has been 2 weeks since the senior trip. Let's just say that the trip was both awesome and confusing for me. I had a great time being with Nikki's crew. They made the trip more fun by far. I was able to catch up with some of the other kids I was friends with and become closer with them too. 

The trip kind of made the feelings I started to get for Nikki stronger. Making me more aware of them. It scared me, so I took the coward way out and decided to slightly ignore her. The last part of the trip I would see her, but I would kind of avoid her and the rest of her friends. 

When we got back to school I tried to act friendly but not as friendly as before. I felt bad. I could tell something was worrying Nikki. She kept trying to ask me if I was okay, to which I would tell her yes and she would drop it. 

After a week of giving her less attention than I had before she started to give me space. She quit bothering me in the classes we shared, she quit asking if I wanted to join her for lunch, and she quit texting me. 

I didn't like how things were going. I missed having her with me and just being around her in general. I just hoped it wasn't too late. 

It's now the Friday before Halloween. Tomorrow is when a big Halloween party is supposed to be held at Anne's house. I decided to talk to Nikki and fix the awkwardness between us at the party. 

I honestly didn't know if things would be okay with us after, but I was hoping they would. What I did was shitty. All because I was too scared to admit that I liked a girl. The schools golden girl at that. 

"Hey Baxter." I turned to see Anne coming up to me in one of the hallways. "You coming to the party tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, I was thinking about it." She smiled at me. "Cool. It's a costume party, so remember to look smokin'." I chuckled. "Will do." 

Her face dropped slightly. "Hey, so.. How are thing's with you and Nikki?" I wasn't too surprised about her question. She was one of the first people to notice the change between Nikki and I. She would ask a couple days out of the week if things have changed, but I always gave her the same answer.

"Still about the same. I haven't seen her much, or really talked to her." 

Anne wasn't mad about everything that was going on like she was when the stuff with Mark was happening. In all honesty she seemed more concerned than anything. 

"Oh I see. I hope you two patch things up." She looked me directly in the eyes. "She really cares about you Mia. The last thing she wants to do is hurt you or make you feel uncomfortable around her." 

I nodded. "I know Anne, I know. Things are just a little weird for me right now. I plan on talking to her at the party though." She gave a sad smile. "Good. I hope it'll help."

With that we said our goodbyes and made our ways in separate directions. Basketball practice had just started so Anne had to head to the gym, I on the other hand had to meet my brother in the parking lot to take the two of us home.

He was waiting by the car talking to a girl. He was leaned against it with his arms crossed and his leg up against the tire. Little punk was trying to impress her. With my car.

He looked over and saw me coming, that's when a panicked look came across his face and he quickly said goodbye to the female student.

"I see what you were trying to do there." I said crossing my arms as I reached him. He rolled his eyes. "I have no clue what you're talking about." 

We got into our respective seats and started the drive home. After a bit of listening to the radio he turned it down and looked at me. 

"Hey, you're going to the party tomorrow right?" He asked. I looked at him quizzically. "Yeah I am. Why?" He rubbed the back of his neck before speaking again. "So that girl I was talking to is also going, and I was wondering if you could take me with you."