Chapter 15: Even if I die

I barely processed Morgana's message. All I knew was that I was under Morgana's control and the only way to be free was to stab myself with a blade forged in a dragon's breath. I imagine all the things Morgana can make me do sitting in her cave just by giving me instructions. If only I didn't give Arthur Excalibur.

I can't ask him for it because he'll ask me what I need it for and why I can't use another sword. I'm not going to go to Arthur and say 'the sword was forged in a dragon's breath by the dragon you thought you killed but he's still alive because my father is a dragon lord so, when he died I became a dragon lord and let him go. I need the sword to stab myself and get rid of Morgana who can control me whenever she wants.' No, I won't be doing that.

Where do I get a sword forged in a dragon's breath? Then I realised there was one. I ran down the stairs into Gwen's study.

"Excuse me, could I borrow Esmeralda for a moment," I said quickly.

"Of course," Gwen was confused at the urgency in my words but decided not to question it.

"Merlin, what's going on?" Ezy asked, following me towards an empty corridor.

"Do you have the dagger?"

"Yes," she answered, pulling it out of her pocket, "why?"

"I need you to stab me with it," I stated, pulling her into an alcove.

"What? No!" Whatever she was expecting it wasn't this.

"It's the only way to break the spell," I urged.

"What spell?"

"The potion Morgana gave me gives her control over me. The only way to break it is to get stabbed by a blade forged in a dragon's breath," I explained.

"I can't! It'll almost be like killing you," Ezy choked, holding back tears, " I would never do that."

"Please, I promise I won't die. I'll just heal myself with magic and be back to normal," I managed to give her a reassuring smile.

"I-I just can't do it," she whispered.

"I'll do it."

Ezy hesitantly gave me her dagger and bit her lip as she watched me raise the dagger towards my stomach.

"Ready?" I asked quietly.

She nodded.

I closed my eyes and thrust the dagger into my stomach. It was painful but not as bad as the spell used on me last night. I started to feel faint, my knees gave way and I fell to the ground.

"Merlin, stay awake," Ezy begged, " I need you to heal yourself."

"I can but my magic is weak...I need you to help," I barely uttered.

"What's the spell?" She asked.

I told her the spell and together we cast it. I slowly felt the skin healing over and the bleeding stopped. Ezy flung herself around me. After she pulled away from the hug she said.

"Do you know how hard it is to see your brother hurt?"

"I'm fine, it's just a scratch," I grinned, turning back into my old self.

She rolled her eyes. "I have to go now. Promise me you won't do anything dangerous," Ezy demanded.

"I promise."

"Good. Bye," and she ran off.

I was free from Morgana but, would she come to get me again? I'd just have to wait and see. Sure enough, I was in the armoury catching up on extra work Arthur had given me when at exactly midnight Morgana appeared in the doorway.

"You thought you could get rid of me?" She smirked "As for the spell, I don't know how you un-enchanted yourself but it is one of the things I will find out when I'm killing you slowly and painfully," She said her ocean coloured eyes glistening in the candlelight.

"You used to be kind, Morgana. What happened?" I said.

"You know full well what happened," she spat, "you betrayed me I couldn't trust you anymore. I should have never in the first place."

"Morgana-" I tried to make things right with her again.

"I have no time for this," she interrupted.

Soon she had me tied to a horse and riding to her cave. When we got there she started tormenting me until I gave her information in the end I was going to be killed. Morgana wouldn't hesitate to dispose of me at all. I was just a lowly pheasant to her.

I will not fail Albion. I will not fail the once and future king. I will resist Morgana for as long as I can. Even if I die.